What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Explore Maryland by Air

Don

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up the Virginia Aviation Ambassador program and I see where a few other states have a similar program - Maryland being the closest. I signed up for a 'Passport' approximately a month ago and have not received it. Weekly phone messages to the person and number on the website go unanswered.

Does anyone know if the Passports are available at local airports, too? Here in VA every public use airport has them, so getting started is easy. Just curious.

Not sure. Ginger and I received our packets by mail, but it was 2012 or 2013. We finished Virginia last May (#338 and #339) at the Virginia Fly-In. Randy told us then that South Carolina had just started a program. We finished it in November and received our jackets at the February conference (#4 and #5, I think). We have started North Carolina, but are a long ways from completing it. We have yet to start Maryland. There is a guy in Maryland that has finished Maryland, Virginia and Sourh Carolina. A couple in Virginia that finished just before us were not even pilots. The Ambassador Programs are great ideas. The two most expensive jackets I own! Have fun!

I received the passport booklet and program instructions last year. If not the program I am not sure I would ever visit certain airports. Let the fun begin! :D

It took several months to receive the MD passport booklet. I had ordered it through their website.

I also have the Va., NC, and SC booklets.

Vlad, no, I do not have the ND book. I remember we talked about it last year over lunch in NJ but I just don't think I will ever get up there.

And just FYI, we relocated the Cessna 150 from South Jersey to Saint Mary's in MD and as such I will not likely make it back to your neighborhood. I still have the RV in NC.

I'm finishing up the Virginia Aviation Ambassador program and I see where a few other states have a similar program - Maryland being the closest. I signed up for a 'Passport' approximately a month ago and have not received it. Weekly phone messages to the person and number on the website go unanswered.

Does anyone know if the Passports are available at local airports, too? Here in VA every public use airport has them, so getting started is easy. Just curious.

Have a link to the program Don?

Lots of cool places in MD to visit

Garrett County 2G3 is the highest airport elevation in Maryland. Very cool runway you see only half of it when you land. They do have their annual fly-in sometime in the summer.

Greater Cumberland KCBE sits in a picturesque Appalachian valley. It's under extensive renovation. There is only one way to the terminal you have to back taxi an intersecting runway.

Down below, a quarter mile threshold-to-threshold stretches a pretty grass runway of Mexico Farms 1W3. Interesting traffic patterns at both airports well thought of. If you are coming during rainy season use only the second third of the runway. Both other thirds are very soft. Do not use the training wheel if you are coming in an A model. Airport stamp is located in the mailbox on the old Cumberland Hangar.

Hagerstown KHGR

Hagerstown MD has a picturesque approach, cool taxiway and a great restaurant. No fees, you could see everyone on the ramp while enjoying your meal. Great views of rare aircraft on departure end. Go visit.

W48 and KMTN

On my way to Martin State airport KMTN I stopped at Essex Skypark W48. Met an old friend and acquired new ones. Was nice to see you Claw. FlyingBeard that's a nice setup you have on your RV8. Find some free time share the progress with us. I will see you guys at your flyin in September.

My good buddy bought me a ticket to Glen Martin Museum all inclusive thanks John! Here I come :)

Impressive outside exhibition.

PS; There is a fee at the FBO $22. It doesn't matter if you buy avgas.

On my way to Martin State airport KMTN I stopped at Essex Skypark W48. Met an old friend and acquired new ones. Was nice to see you Claw. FlyingBeard that's a nice setup you have on your RV8. Find some free time share the progress with us. I will see you guys at your flyin in September.

https://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq197/N666BK/A%2
0tale%20of%20RV/Essex%20Skypark%20-%201%201.jpg

My good buddy bought me a ticket to Glen Martin Museum all inclusive thanks John! Here I come :)

Impressive outside exhibition.

PS; There is a fee at the FBO $22. It doesn't matter if you buy avgas.

Hold short A-10?s. Vlads coming in The tower probably said

I missed talking to you at smoketown couple weeks ago, I was taking off in the silver/ purple -10

Hold short A-10?s. Vlads coming in The tower probably said

I missed talking to you at smoketown couple weeks ago, I was taking off in the silver/ purple -10

Where did you go that day btw? A well trained barber at Smoketown did a buzz job in minutes I thought you were doing pattern work. :D

LOL. I ran over to Chester county to use the compass rose to finalize my magnetometer calibration. It was quick, you were taking off when I was on downwind coming back. Catch ya next time, don?t sneak in next time 😉

KSBY

Stopped by Salisbury KSBY the other day. Parked not far from a Tupolev Tu4 replica :D

The bombers were ready to participate in annual WWII reenactment at Reading PA.

Finally was able to make Kentmorr Airpark 3W3. An owner came out and gave me a lecture. A good one.

Bennett Airfield 1N5 was in great shape. Will definitely come again.

Awards

Program completed. The highest award was shipped to my Utah address. Thanks for fun Maryland!

Explore_Maryland_by_Air_Award_-_1.jpeg

Nicely Done!

I haven’t checked lately to see if the program is still active, but SC was a lot of fun. Ginger and I completed it after we finished VA. If it’s still in existence, I know you would enjoy it. Congratulations on MD!

I haven’t checked lately to see if the program is still active, but SC was a lot of fun. Ginger and I completed it after we finished VA. If it’s still in existence, I know you would enjoy it. Congratulations on MD!

Thanks! The Carolinas folded their programs years ago. I was almost done with SC but it was too late. Leather jacket fund dried out :)

North Dakota has similar passport program and adjacent southern state copied it as well (without awards)

That’s most unfortunate

that the Carolinas ran out. We had started NC but had a ways to go. Several years ago I brought up the programs to a Florida aviation rep at Sun N Fun and he just made a face and blew it off. The VA and SC jackets are the most “expensive” jackets I own, but the programs are a lot of fun and great experiences as you know!

Texas doesn't have a program so I made my own. There are 393 public use airports in Texas and I've visited about 140 so far. I'm not sure what prize I'm going to give myself when I complete it.

Attachments

• Texas Airports.PNG
    Texas Airports.PNG
    981 KB · Views: 263
Texas doesn't have a program so I made my own. There are 393 public use airports in Texas and I've visited about 140 so far. I'm not sure what prize I'm going to give myself when I complete it.

I like your approach Greg! I may do the same with Wyoming I live on the state line :D

Woof! I love this. I've been known to take a day and see how many I can hit. In Texas, this is multiple overnight trips that aren't possible to be "home in time for dinner"...

Maybe if I launched earlier? Packed breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is always fun to talk to the people at the fuel stops. "Where you headed?" Uh, I'm just out doing a lap. :)

Last edited:
Woof! I love this. I've been known to take a day and see how many I can hit. In Texas, this is multiple overnight trips that aren't possible to be "home in time for dinner"...

Maybe if I launched earlier? Packed breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is always fun to talk to the people at the fuel stops. "Where you headed?" Uh, I'm just out doing a lap. :)

So far it's been almost all normal flying. I've got to start doing collection trips though. I'm even missing a couple in the Houston area. All the Big Bend airports were done in a day trip out of Ruidoso during a Navion convention but the rest of West Texas and the pan handle are going to take some dedicated effort.

Back