What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (8/29 - 8/30'ish)

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I planned to fly somewhere for lunch today, but woke up pretty undecided about where to go. Some potential airports.. Oceano, Santa Monica, Camarillo, Big Bear, and Torrance. Probably some others that I am forgetting.

A bit on a whim, Torrance was decided to be the winner, figuring I'd try out a BBQ restaurant about a ten minute walk from the airport.

It was a very nice ~30 minute flight north along the coast to Torrance. After landing and parking the airplane, I headed off on the short walk to the restaurant. As I approached the restaurant, I got a glimpse of an Indian restaurant and changed my plan to eat there. And it was GREAT!

Kabab Curry Cuisine of India
25332 Crenshaw Blvd #6100, Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 539-0171

So, a very nice lunch later, it was time to walk back to the airplane. Back at the airport, I headed south along the coast back to the hangar. About 1.1 hours of flying total and a great meal. What else can you ask for?

Attachments

• IMG_8976.JPG
    IMG_8976.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_8977.JPG
    IMG_8977.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 320
Start of a 2,320 mile journey

This morning was simply a perfect day for flying. Temperature was a cool 60, visibility infinity, not a cloud in the sky. I took off from my new home base of Wadena, MN (KADC), and set a course for due north. After about 45 miles, my waypoint became visible. The lake in this picture is Lake Itasca, the headwaters for the Mississippi River. Slightly to the right of the center, at the far (north) end of the lake, the Mississippi starts its long journey to the Gulf of Mexico.

ACtC-3fiSeiI8YwOnPf64vjTXXoWJjqEpQ7U1q7QJCQ8EYV6OHGqSvpc-Z4WTayzJln8RuZ9cqcsUmbI_RDwFTg2IeM0oPqRPueyqSmNWYTNVTOdUMcTaX1K0ORi8MtuTLyhnNsdVHXQE1r8HsTEqTZ3ZSXCxA=w800

Just over the wingtip is mile zero:

ACtC-3dG3TnDElFGYSBGMQ42zAppSXKGStaW0Gjb5W8Odto1VL0fu4BlYinepEtJhoDZegXRST790hcBxRGZgdlgZyjYL8TrwxcAIwuuIMLD3QGQFeiMfAZls6Lskxg10dS3uY0SsTVHSuri2WSi0xAuvRhefg=w800

As a truly startling contrast with the modernity of our flying machines and their astounding glass panels, this scene was visible a half mile from the airport gate:

ACtC-3dvVowJXevRudO0S_RKYCxvo-mIr6VcfF67dKGw21TEFsLo9yTWHULrazn-n_-hKIQL05Qf_dIKY460AcPbf30-muQTNeUgz6lY5CrMZyb37F8DFr3NHnf4JmZBtoYAZuQIaR17k4KLuJIgmohzpnq9KQ=w800

There is a large Amish population in the area, with two farmsteads directly adjacent to the airport. There was some big goings-on at this one, as I estimated about 25 of these buggies were there. One can't help but admire the Amish.

L35

We flew up to Big Bear for breakfast, and a fine breakfast it was! Had to file to get out of Long Beach this morning due to a 1000 foot ovc, but after we broke out it was vfr the rest of the way. Sorry, no pics.

-Marc

I took a long look at the fuselage canoe that I put so many hours into, then took a deep breath and started making holes in it. Felt weird but you gotta put the antennas somewhere...

img_1485-1024x768.jpg

UT75

Explored my backyard a bit. Landed at Mineral Canyon UT75 and hiked a mile. Hot! Good nobody watched my landing some blokes from downunder would have a heart attack (hi Adrian) :D

Attachments

• UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (1).jpg
    UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 374
  • UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (2).jpg
    UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391
  • UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (3).jpg
    UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 424
  • UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (4).jpg
    UT75 Mineral Canyon - 1 (4).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 386
5B6

Construction is about to start on our airpark retirement home in Falmouth. Had a quick visit with the builder and a couple neighbors. Everything is in place, land clearing starts on Tuesday.

JJ looking over her future home site.
5B20C364-F215-4E72-95B7-47A23714C4A6.jpeg

A little 5-ship practice. It is a joy to get out and exercise the fingers and toes with like minded aviators. It was amusing to realize that the majority of the flight were CQ Headset users :).

Attachments

• 5ship.jpg
    5ship.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 252
2nd Flight

Engine break-in flight... Just make sure I stay in 75nm from my home airport.
But I was able to slow down the plane at this time and use flaps for landing :D

And the video now:

https://youtu.be/JkfRmAfkEgY

Attachments

• 8_28_2020.jpg
    8_28_2020.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Catching up...

Been enjoying the heck out of my -7 this summer. Here's a couple pics from last week/weekend.

Desert camping.

EbPWVjgl.png

fGMQ6tHl.png

IbdDtTOl.jpg

Flying back across Idaho after an air trip to visit a friend.

KZjTi5Zl.jpg

Grins every time :D

Hey Chris, I have seen you before and you dont look anything like the person in the 2nd picture? Ha!! I want to get to the Alford Desert someday. Great place to practice engine out landings! Have fun.

Chuck has my plane just about ready for DAR. Finally!

Back