What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing #6 engine baffle

svyolo

Well Known Member
I am putting together my IO-540 baffle kit, but can't figure out how to get the #6 baffle piece around the engine mount and pushrod tube. It looks like removing the pushrod tube might make it easier.

Any tips on getting it in place?

It?s been a long time since I did that step, but I know it can be done without removing the pushrod tube.

Did you slide it in from the front side of the engine, and then aft/down? Or from the side/rear? The #5 came in from the side rear.

I tried both but short of plastically bending the sheet metal and/or scratching it up badly, no luck.

It will go in

You just have to try different approaches until you find the right combination. I come in from above and to the side. It has to flex right to the point I think it will take a bend before it slides in.

Also keep an eye on the cylinder wraps on the bottom inboard. They tend to catch on the fins and need to be helped in by reaching under the cylinder and pushing them out while working from the top to slide the baffle in.

You just have to try different approaches until you find the right combination. I come in from above and to the side. It has to flex right to the point I think it will take a bend before it slides in.

Also keep an eye on the cylinder wraps on the bottom inboard. They tend to catch on the fins and need to be helped in by reaching under the cylinder and pushing them out while working from the top to slide the baffle in.

Do what Leo says, it works. I would also protect that pushrod with some tape, because you will have to install / remove the baffles a few times before you are done.

If you haven?t gotten it in there yet, keep trying. Eventually it will drop in and you?re going to be scratching your head trying to figure out how it happened.

It just happens. No one knows how.

I did finally get it into place. I am not sure it is going to survive the week as a single piece. I think splitting it at the motor mount might make a lot of sense. I will think about it and keep looking at it.

We?re not far ahead of you. The first time getting it on almost broke me. Since then it?s become easier (not ?easy?). No plan to split it, though. It?s certainly easier with two of us manipulating it into place.

Back