What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible Lycoming problems after prop strike?

Devo

I'm New Here
Howdy! I’m thinking about buying an RV-6 with a
Lycoming 0-360 A2A. 672 TT, with 35 Hr since prop strike tear down and inspection. The plane seems like a good value, although I’m a little bit anxious about the prop strike. Should I run away from this airplane, or could it still be an OK buy? Thanks!

Lycoming 0-360 A2A. 672 TT, with 35 Hr since prop strike tear down and inspection.

What were the conditions when the prop strike happened----engine RPM, one blade or both? etc.

What documentation do you have for the tear down and parts replacement-----do they conform with the Lycoming directives for a prop strike. Who did the work.

At least the above info is needed IMHO before someone can render a valid opinion for you.

As Mike said, it depends on who did the TDI, and whether they followed the letter of the AD/Lycoming service instructions completely. There are parts that automatically get replaced with new during a prop strike TDI - crankshaft gear and bolt, roller lifters if you have them, both mags - to name a couple items. The TDI instruction is fairly detailed. You should read the tear down report to find out what they did and compare it to the requirements in the prop strike service instructions. Done properly, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about, although just having a prop strike does affect what somebody is willing to pay for the airplane that can’t say “NDH”. I have personal experience with this that I’m not going to waste time explaining, but be sure the correct TDI procedures were followed by a reputable shop. If the owner says that this isn’t required because it’s an EAB, he is right, and you shouldn’t let the door hit you in the backside on your way out of there. In addition to my experiences, we are dealing with a new RV8 owner at our airport who purchased her airplane after a prop strike that wasn’t handled correctly because it was a home built, and now she is having issues.

Thanks Mike and Scott for this valuable information! I'll get the reports and have an expert look at ém. You definitely helped me make a more-educated decision and possibly avoid a lemon.

Dave

If it is properly inspected it should be fine. I bought one airplane that had an engine that had had a prop strike before a complete overhaul. I never had an issue with it. It was priced in up front, properly inspected, and the seller was transparent.

If it will bug you or there are any questions about the work you can always walk away. Just realize the airplane will be a little harder to sell when the time comes.

Back