What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Install Measurements

ethand

Well Known Member
What measurements should be completed prior to drilling the rear spar on step 3 of page 44-3?

Dihedral? Incidence? Was talking to a few builders at the airport on Saturday when we did the initial install with hardware bolts and they suggested other kits have specific items to measure. Is the ten just a different kit that it is not required? I know the tail install has a measure you need to take but that is also not pre drilled.

I did notice the two holes in the rear spar from the fuselage and the wing did not perfectly line up but well within what will be drilled to the 3/8" size. I attribute this to just the build process.

If you measure, what did you measure and how did you measure? Appreciated.

E

OK, thanks.

That is what I see in the manual as well but these two are experienced builders (one was a 10) and figured I would ask if there is something more to be done

E

You don't measure. You cleco, clamp, and drill. It is well explained in the manual.

I'm not sure that's true - but it's a long time since I hung the wings.

IIRC, the instructions DO tell you to check the critical measurements - dihedral, incidence and sweep. The idea is that the 1/8" hole in the rear spar is small enough to allow a good degree of adjustment and still be within the diameter of the final hole.

My plan was to cleco 1/8", do the measurements, adjust and clamp, drill and cleco 3/16", measure and adjust again, then final drill. As it happened, everything was within 1mm or 0.1 degree :D I was obviously an ace builder - or just lucky ;)

I'm not sure that's true - but it's a long time since I hung the wings.

IIRC, the instructions DO tell you to check the critical measurements - dihedral, incidence and sweep. The idea is that the 1/8" hole in the rear spar is small enough to allow a good degree of adjustment and still be within the diameter of the final hole.

My plan was to cleco 1/8", do the measurements, adjust and clamp, drill and cleco 3/16", measure and adjust again, then final drill. As it happened, everything was within 1mm or 0.1 degree :D I was obviously an ace builder - or just lucky ;)

Section 44, page 3, step 2. Cleco, clamp, remove the cleco, drill.

Confirming measurements is never bad, but the instructions don't mention it for this assembly.

I stand corrected as I don't have the plans to hand - I must be going mad (quite possibly......) But, as I said, I didn't have to make any adjustments so it could well be that the CNC machining is so accurate that it's simply not necessary. Having said all that, I STILL wouldn't final drill until I had checked.....

As for the holes in the rear spar not lining up, it can take a little bit of "persuading".

I ran a punch through the hole to align everything correctly. Clamped it with a small clamp and then removed the punch and drilled.

There was absolutely no side loading or slipping around at the holes. In fact, mine aligned so well naturally that I really didn?t even need a punch or cleco to align it perfectly. It just worked on its own without me coaxing it into position.

The alignment will work exactly as Vans said it would.

The only word of caution I?d offer is sneaking up on the size and hopefully using a reamer to final drill a perfectly round hole. You don?t want that hole oblong.

Flys great...

Back