What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I sit in your rv9 / is rv9 right for us?

TazzyTazzy

I'm New Here
Hello,
I'm a low time pilot, about 150 hours. I'm tired of the club rentals not being available / down.
I went on a test flight a couple years ago in an rv12. It's nice, but I don't think it's right for us.

Is there any one with an rv9a in Sacramento/bay area that I can sit in? I'm 6'4, and concerned that I'll fit in it.

Our most common mission: 3 day weekend trips and 1 day hamburger runs. There's just 2 of us, no kids/pets. We do enjoy camping at various airports on occasion. Eventually, would like to fly across the country on a 2 month sabbatical.

We would like to bring our foldable electric scooters to get around. They weight about 30 pounds each, but give us about 25 miles of range.

I'm concerned that the rv9 won't be able to hold our scooters or camping gear. Thoughts?

I really would like to build an rv-10 since it can carry anything we could need, but $$$$.

Thanks

You should also try fitting in an RV-7 if you can't find a -9 - the cabin is the same, and an RV-6 is very close except it has a little more room for taller (not wider) people.

We (a buddy and I who weigh >350 lbs total) camp at Oshkosh in the RV-6 carrying up to 110 pounds of gear. I'm sure a -9 or -9A would carry more. Prop choice (to move the CG forward) and where you pack your gear will make a difference on how much you can carry before going out of the CG range. Hint - the floor under your knees is a great place for dense items.

You didn?t mention your weight, or your usual passenger?s. That?s fine; just look at Vans? web site and run the numbers. Remember that you need ?no extras? to come in at Vans empty weight.
It really sounds to me like you want a -14.

I too am 6'4" (170-180lbs depending on amount of beer and running) and am building a 7A. I fit with the standard seat layout, but added the "almost a 14" kit from Anti-splat and now fit much better with plenty of head room.

You'll be fine in a 7/9, but I'd say put this mod in not batter if you buy or build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMJKmUeMJHM

Your challenge will be the baggage compartment. Depending on which version of the manual and the individual aircraft's W&B, you can load either 75 or 100 lbs back there.

That and getting something like a scooter in the back will be a challenge, unless you but a slider and add, if it doesn't already have it, the Flyboy Accessories Super Track Extension.

RV's are easy to fly; don't be afraid of RV7 or RV14, thinking they are some sort of high performance hard to handle plane- they are not. If you are looking to build, the RV14 is a third generation prepunch kit- it goes together very fast. The 14 is designed for tall big people- any big that is not you, can be camping gear and luggage.

I second the Flyboy track extensions. I have both these and the Almost a 14 mod- both are AWESOME and I highly recommend them both for support and quality of product.

I have a -9A at KLHM (Lincoln) and will be happy to give you some time to poke around. Email me or text to 9166603167.
David

I'm 6' 2" and it would be nice to have just a bit more leg room in my -9A. I don't feel cramped, but it is nice to get out and stretch after a long leg of flying.
The baggage area can get filled up pretty quick with camping equipment. I've only done the camping thing a couple of times (Oshkosh/Idaho). We usually motel it on our travels. Plenty of room for a couple of bags back there, but not sure how big your electric scooters will take up.
As others have said here, the fuselage is the same between the -7 and -9. The -14 is much larger and the baggage area is longer and lower.

RV9

I am 6'4" and fit fine in my 9A. I pushedthe rudder pedals as far forward as possible and put the throttle controls in the instrument panel instead of below to provide knee room. i use a Clarity Aloft headset to provide extra headroom, If you have a long torso yiu can also have the bottom seat cushion 1 inch lower in height. All of these mods make the plane very comfortable.

If yiu happen to build a taildragger you can install the "almost a 14" kit from ani splat which allows more seat back recline.

For what it's worth: I'm 6'3", and have sat and flown in an RV-9A and RV-12.

Perhaps a more important measure is the height from the ground to the top of your head while seated. For me, that is 39".

I barely fit in an RV-9A - have at most 1" clearance to the canopy with no headphones. If you remove the "wedge" under the seat maybe 2" clearance, but now you are sitting a bit in a hole.

This lack of space in an RV-9A (and worse in an RV-12, more like 1/2" head clearance) is one factor keeping me from those aircraft. Don't want to spend turbulent days thumping my head on the canopy...

The RV-14A is consequently very appealing. (Will snap one up as soon as the lottery comes through!)

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

If yiu happen to build a taildragger you can install the "almost a 14" kit from ani splat which allows more seat back recline.

Curious why it would matter if a taildragger? I installed in a 7A and I believe Alan (from Antisplat) has the mod installed in is 9A.

6'4" and plenty of room now with the Almost a 14 mod. The Supertracks are great too for baggage access.

Often the hanging rudder pedals,during the build, are moved further forward or aft to individualize the leg room for short or long legged pilots.

Just a thought...in my RV7 ,once in the air, I often put my feet under and ahead of the pedals while letting the autopilot fly...

6.4", 240 or maybe a few more lbs, 9a.

My rudder pedals are forward from plans, almost 14 seat mod, tip up, Oregon Aero Seat Cushions. I find it very comfortable, and have had several other RV owners sit in it. So far everyone has commented how much more room it is over "normal" side by sides.

Key thing to remember is how it is built can surely have an effect on how it feels inside, and most of the time that can be changed fairly quickly if buying one.

6.4", 240 or maybe a few more lbs, 9a.

My rudder pedals are forward from plans, almost 14 seat mod, tip up, Oregon Aero Seat Cushions. I find it very comfortable, and have had several other RV owners sit in it. So far everyone has commented how much more room it is over "normal" side by sides.

Key thing to remember is how it is built can surely have an effect on how it feels inside, and most of the time that can be changed fairly quickly if buying one.

Great response I was waiting for your post Jeff. I am still wondering how could you survive many hours in a Russian built RV without any mods. With pedals all the way back for a shorty like myself. Good time was had flying over Midwest thank you for riding along. Now get her in the air :D

Great response I was waiting for your post Jeff. I am still wondering how could you survive many hours in a Russian built RV without any mods. With pedals all the way back for a shorty like myself. Good time was had flying over Midwest thank you for riding along. Now get her in the air :D

14 hours or whatever it was in 2 days was fun. Ready to go again this next time in mine. I don't remember my pants being that ripped up from the adventure though, nor do I look anything near that attractive.

I will say my local RV8 guy has commented my airplane is the most comfortable side by side he has ever sat in, not been in 14 yet but many 9's, 7's, and 6's.

Rv9 mods

I have a 6a with the almost 14 seat mod and still find it very cozy with two people in it. What other mods can be done to make it bigger or at least make it feel bigger. The 14 seat mod made a world of difference in headroom and comfort for sure.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We're now debating between the rv-14 and rv-10...yet again.

Looking thru my log book, I actually do carry a 3rd person in the 172 about 20% of the flights. There have been a couple times where we wish we could take another couple with, but...172.

Doing back of the hand napkin math, it looks like an rv-10 is about $32-35k more. About $14.5k more for the airframe, $14k more for io540, and then I just estimated $5k to $8k more for misc other items. The panel would be nearly the same.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We're now debating between the rv-14 and rv-10...yet again.

There?s a couple 10?s and a 14a at Livermore to check out. Better yet, go to Van?s in Oregon where you can sit in both and get your free ride in one. Plus, they?ll answer all your comparison questions.

There?s a couple 10?s and a 14a at Livermore to check out. Better yet, go to Van?s in Oregon where you can sit in both and get your free ride in one. Plus, they?ll answer all your comparison questions.

I?m one of those guys (-10) at LVK, and would be glad to take you for a short ride. And I have a key to the -10 next door, so you can see what a nice paint job and interior look like (I did my own, and I?m not a great painter.) PM me if interested with your email address.
You can also email Tim Olson - he owns both a -10 and -14!

Back