What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Controlling Garmin SL40 with Skyview

You need not only the pin, but a D-sub crimper as well. If that is your only need, you would be better served to go to a local avionics shop and have them install the pin on the wire.
If you are however going to go with the ADSB-in box, you will need to get some pins and a crimper, Steins is a good place.

Shielded, or Not

I started to run the wire from the SL40 end, but it looks like most of the wires in this harness are shielded!! It that what I need for this connection?? I will wait to hear.

Tom

Problem Solved--S.U.E. (Stupid User Error)

I called Dynon support this afternoon and resolved the problem. Getting the SL-40 talking properly involves two configurations settings:

1) Configure Serial Port 4 RX, selecting the Apollo/Garmin SL-40 on the pulldown menu (this I was doing)
2) Back up a menu or two, and select "DISPLAY COM" or something like that, where you then select the SL-40 (the default is none).
This then puts the active and standby frequencies on the top bar on the Skyview, and when in an Airport's INFO--COM screens, makes the push-to-com button appear on the bottom (APT>COM??), the pushing of which will load the selected frequency into the standby on the SL-40 (unless it is already the active frequency).

The other mystery solved by this was why the TX count in the Serial Port Configuration Status screen remains at zero while the RX count continually increments. The SL-40 will continually send status on its Serial Out port, while the Skyview will only send when you manually push the frequency to the SL-40. I could only push things when I had the SL-40 selected as the com to display, such that the magic button appears.

Now that I know how to do it, I guess I'll have to re-read the destructions, and see if these two steps are really documented or not.

The Dynon phone support folks are very helpful.

I just added a simple wire

I started to run the wire from the SL40 end, but it looks like most of the wires in this harness are shielded!! It that what I need for this connection?? I will wait to hear.

Tom

I just strung a simple wire--maybe not optimal, but its a pretty short (about 2 ft) wire run, and the unshielded wire is probably good enough for who its for.

I asked in the COMM forum and was told that the shielded wire was not necessary in this case. I did not use shielded wire and it worked fine.

I did not add the extra wire just programed the port and com radio 40 into the sky view I can send to the com radio but don"t get any read outs or information on the bar at the top of sky view just a big red x I plan on adding the wire when it rains and I have some free time Not really missing anything the radio has the same read out as the bar would show I think.

I did Eagle's Nest Three yesterday--took less than a half hour and it works great. Will do EN-1 Friday, and I expect maybe fifteen minutes. You guys really helped me out here. I could never have figured this out on my own.

Bob

You need to come down and make mine work. The radio fires up and displays freqs, but try as I might, I never get anything on the skyview screen from the radio. It is the same as yours with the Display com and in the serial settings. Nothing.
I called Dynon support this afternoon and resolved the problem. Getting the SL-40 talking properly involves two configurations settings:

1) Configure Serial Port 4 RX, selecting the Apollo/Garmin SL-40 on the pulldown menu (this I was doing)
2) Back up a menu or two, and select "DISPLAY COM" or something like that, where you then select the SL-40 (the default is none).
This then puts the active and standby frequencies on the top bar on the Skyview, and when in an Airport's INFO--COM screens, makes the push-to-com button appear on the bottom (APT>COM??), the pushing of which will load the selected frequency into the standby on the SL-40 (unless it is already the active frequency).

The other mystery solved by this was why the TX count in the Serial Port Configuration Status screen remains at zero while the RX count continually increments. The SL-40 will continually send status on its Serial Out port, while the Skyview will only send when you manually push the frequency to the SL-40. I could only push things when I had the SL-40 selected as the com to display, such that the magic button appears.

Now that I know how to do it, I guess I'll have to re-read the destructions, and see if these two steps are really documented or not.

The Dynon phone support folks are very helpful.

Read the fine print, Don

You need to come down and make mine work. The radio fires up and displays freqs, but try as I might, I never get anything on the skyview screen from the radio. It is the same as yours with the Display com and in the serial settings. Nothing.

I come help fix it...but,
1) Read the fine print, where it says the Dynon/SL40 connection is disabled in installations having Viking/Honda engines.
2).I can't come down--I'd have to come up--escaped to cool Peru this week--highs in the 60's, lows in the 30's.
3) "Pooled ignorance is still ignorance" (Mark Twain)

Darn it, I completely missed that paragraph.

I come help fix it...but,
1) Read the fine print, where it says the Dynon/SL40 connection is disabled in installations having Viking/Honda engines.
2).I can't come down--I'd have to come up--escaped to cool Peru this week--highs in the 60's, lows in the 30's.
3) "Pooled ignorance is still ignorance" (Mark Twain)

I am still struggling with this. I found this morning that I CAN push freq data from the Skyview display to the SL40 com radio, works like a charm and I did it a number of times to try to get familiar with the process.
However, NOTHING on the radio appears on top of the Skyview screen! And of course nothing I tune on the radio goes to the Skyview.
I am beginning to think that the link from the SV5000 to the Skyview is missing, will be testing that theory with meters later today. Did anybody else find a case of "no connection" between the 5000 and the Skyview?

Problem solved! When running the new added wire from the radio to the 5000, I had not followed correctly, had another wire hooked up to pin 6. Fortunately it did not make any smoke, corrected it and now I have the full push/pull of frequencies. Wonderful stuff!
2ymyfrs.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, I've done quite a lot of flying with this new feature over the past week or so, with lots of frequency changes, and this is definitely one cool addition. It saves a lot of look-ups and radio knob twirling.

The Cat's Meow!

Bob Bogash
N737G

I just installed this wire, but I can't get my garmin back in its tray. It hits a hard stop about a half inch before it should be seated. It's not the locking cam that's interfering but I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. I think its one of the connectors. Anyone else ever have problems getting the garmin back in its tray?!

Having removed and reinstalled mine a few times last week, I might guess it is the com antenna connection. Try pulling the two nuts that hold it to the tray, or better yet, just loosen them enough to allow it to align with the radio.

I have experienced interference between the bottom sheet metal of the radio case and the sheet metal tray where the locking/unlocking cam goes through. It causes the problem you describe, going in and coming out. The interference occurs because of bowing of the surfaces in the area of the cutouts for the cam.

I have resolved it by sliding a thin narrow bladed putty knife in between the two surfaces from the front. I have slid the knife in on one side and then moved it to the center. I can feel it slide the cam out of the way and even out the bowed surfaces and then the radio goes in and out in just a few seconds.

The problem is exacerbated because the openings are not accessible in the Skyview installation, since that part of the radio tray sits directly over, and is blocked by, the Vans fuse block.

Bob Bogash
N737G

I just installed this wire, but I can't get my garmin back in its tray. It hits a hard stop about a half inch before it should be seated. It's not the locking cam that's interfering but I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. I think its one of the connectors. Anyone else ever have problems getting the garmin back in its tray?!

Had a similar problem.
Look at this page in my build log. http://www.martysrv12.blogspot.com/2009/08/reworked-radio-trays-today.html

I should have added - what you need to do is run a wire from Pin 3 of the connector at the back of the Radio rack (socket termination, if I recall) to Pin 6 of Cx ES-00062 (a pin) - this is the Cx that goes to the Nav/Com plug on the 50000A Control Box. It's the missing wire from harness WH-00028.

It will take the SL-40 RS232 Tx into the rest of the Vans system via Nav/Com Data 2A, where it leaves the Control Box via Pin 41 of ES-00059 and thence via Harness WH-00020 to the Skyview (Pins 40 and 41 provide entrance into SV Serial Port 4 as Nav/Com Data A and Data 2A.)

Everything in the system is wired up and waiting for the Serial Port 4 activation - EXCEPT for the missing wire from the radio to the Control Box. Don't know why that wire was left out.

Selecting SL-40 in the Serial Port 4 set-up establishes the Baud rate and pre-selects all the appropriate handshake parameters, eliminating a lot more head-scratching and trial-and-error.

Hope the above helps eliminate a lot of head-scratching. Those still building can add the wire before installing the radio rack - assuming it's not been added to the new scratch build harnesses. This is a feature you won't want to miss out on!

Bob Bogash
N737G

Should this wire be shielded?

Garmin says Yes - i bought the shielded wire for this purpose. But Vans doesn't shield theirs, others say it's not needed, so I didn't use the shielded wire I bought.

Works fine. Unshielded.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Just looking through the recently released Section 42K SL40 installation instructions. On page 42K-04 it seems the optional WH-F1102 data wire available from Vans has a separate ground connection (shielded wire?). I've already installed an unshielded wire as per the advice in this thread, and since others have reported good results, I don't want to change it now unless its really necessary. Just wondering if any of you electronics gurus know why Vans might have opted for a grounded wire?

Shielded not necessary as described before.

Also, found this post on the Dynon Forum from a Dynon Tech Support person:

Shield the wires if you are bored but it's really not needed. You should not hook up a specific ground.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1331296104/51#51

Changing the subject slightly, I don't understand why Vans, in their recent revision, describes the wire and the radio connectivity as "optional"? The radio Push/Pull feature is now standard on the Skyview system, and has been since Firmware 6.0. We're currently on 7.1 and I believe 8.0 is coming on fast. It should be the baseline on the RV-12 Plans. Which also means, that the wire should be in the harness as built by Stein and furnished by Vans in the Skyview kit, instead of having the builder add it.

Bob Bogash
N737G

The wire has been added to the production harness.
It is listed as optional because that gives builders (who may not be as passionate as others are about the function) the option to install it when they feel like it.
If it was not listed as optional, everyone would "technically" have to install it before their certification inspection... some may choose to get it flying, and wait until doing an inspection or maint to install it.

Optional wire

Scott, I assume when it is ordered from Van's it will have the correct sized pins for the connectors on each end? (had been avoiding the addition but if the unique pins are done, its not as big a nusance.)

It is listed as optional because that gives builders (who may not be as passionate as others are about the function) the option to install it when they feel like it.
If it was not listed as optional, everyone would "technically" have to install it before their certification inspection... some may choose to get it flying, and wait until doing an inspection or maint to install it.

I like that, Scott. Now! Any chance Vans will add an Optional Plan page for installing the AOA system? The Skyview and ADAHRS are all plumbed and set up for it, and installing the tubing during wing build is a whole lot better than after.

A lot of builders are installing everything before C of A inspection - technically non-compliant with the plans - or at least a little "fuzzy."

I'm surprised Vans hasn't jumped on this, since it's all in the avionics, and the FAA and everyone else these days are pushing AOA big time as a simple but effective safety improvement. I know Van is gung ho on improving GA safety, and home built in particular.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Scott, I assume when it is ordered from Van's it will have the correct sized pins for the connectors on each end? (had been avoiding the addition but if the unique pins are done, its not as big a nusance.)
It does. It also has a ring terminal for grounding. Not sure what it costs - they didn't charge me for it.

Push/Pull Skyview to GTR?

Just fired up our Skyview w/GTR200 and noticed no frequency display from the GTR200. Have come to really enjoy this feature with the SL40 and was curious if it's available using the GTR200.

Yes, I'm guilty of 'skimming through' the instructions cuz I'm into instant gratification... not always a good plan, but I did try searching here and came up empty-handed.

Last edited:
Just fired up our Skyview w/GTR200 and noticed no frequency display from the GTR200. Have come to really enjoy this feature with the SL40 and was curious if it's available using the GTR200.

Yes, I'm guilty of 'skimming through' the instructions cuz I'm into instant gratification... not always a good plan, but I did try searching here and came up empty-handed.

I just installed my GTR-200 last night and noticed the install manual did not come with kit?you can download it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01087-01

And I also noticed they have a new software update for it - don't know if that helps or not?.there may be a way to look at the pins and do what other folks did with the 40?..link to install manual for pin info:

http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01087-01&language=en&country=US

I have the GTR-200 upgrade with Skyview. I have radio data showing on Skyview and am able to push frequency tuning to radio. Upon startup of new radio this was not so. I changed something in the Skyview setup to get it on screen. Oh, by the way, the intercom, to me is much better than the Flightcom was.

Skyview <> GTR200 frequency push/pull
Thanks for the help guys... gratification accomplished!

Included for reference:
Skyview set-up: Comm-4 to SL40 and Comm Display to SL40.
Thanks also to Van's for including the RS232 connection omitted in earlier harnesses!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
It does. It also has a ring terminal for grounding. Not sure what it costs - they didn't charge me for it.

Bought one, cost me $12. WH-F1102, 2 pinned wire, plus green ground wire crimped in, looks like it's shielded coax.

is there a special tool needed to press or insert these into the sockets or D plugs on each end? Or do they slip and lock in quite easily?

Last edited:
is there a special tool needed to press or insert these into the sockets or D plugs on each end? Or do they slip and lock in quite easily?

Niner-

If you are asking about the round male and female pins that insert into a DB connector (D shaped) ... no you don't need a special tool to insert the pins into the connector body (but there is a tool for it). Once the pins are inserted deep enough into the connector, they are captured. After inserting, a slight pull on the wire will confirm the pins are locked in place (plus, look to see that the inserted pin is at the same depth in the connector body as all the other pins.

The special tool has two ends, one for pin insertion and the other for pin extraction. In practice, the special tool is really needed for pin extraction (unless you have a stubborn pin, which is a rarity) ... Van's and Steinair carry the tool. There are two extraction tools ... one for the standard D-sub connectors (red body) and the other for the high density D-sub connectors (green body).

As a RV-12 owner you should have the pin insertion/extraction tool(s) in your tool box ... they can be very handy for troubleshooting wiring issues.

Happy flying,

Last edited:
Niner-

If you are asking about the round male and female pins that insert into a DB connector (D shaped) ... no you don't need a special tool to insert the pins into the connector body (but there is a tool for it). Once the pins are inserted deep enough into the connector, they are captured. After inserting, a slight pull on the wire will confirm the pins are locked in place (plus, look to see that the inserted pin is at the same depth in the connector body as all the other pins.

The special tool has two ends, one for pin insertion and the other for pin extraction. In practice, the special tool is really needed for pin extraction (unless you have a stubborn pin, which is a rarity) ... Van's and Steinair carry the tool. There are two extraction tools ... one for the standard D-sub connectors (red body) and the other for the high density D-sub connectors (green body).

As a RV-12 owner you should have the pin insertion/extraction tool(s) in your tool box ... they can be very handy for troubleshooting wiring issues.

Happy flying,
Did Van's provide these with the kit builds?

Did Van's provide these with the kit builds?

Yes, ... it has been a long time but I think they came with either the finishing kit or the Avionics kit.

I also just received another standard red tool with the SB parts for the trim servo retrofit. Came in bag 2670.

Yes, ... it has been a long time but I think they came with either the finishing kit or the Avionics kit.

I also just received another standard red tool with the SB parts for the trim servo retrofit. Came in bag 2670.

I wonder why they didn't send me the tool also with the cable retrofit that should have been in the original harness, that got added later?

Never mind, bought a few from Aircraft Spruce with another order I placed with them.

Last edited:
Back