Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2020, 04:05 PM

Just filled my main tires up for the lower air temps. Set to 28 psi.

I know it's going to be a lot colder and need air added again by late December, so I left the wheel pants off.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:14 AM

If you fit wheel pants you definitely need a valve hole and an extension. With that its not a big deal to check and correct tyre pressure.

Yes the fairings are difficult to remove if you get a flat and you need to lift the wing. In my opinion the plane looks better with them on.

With my RV9 I lose 10 kts without them on. Obviously more drag at higher speed. My 12 will have first flight in next 6 weeks
Old 10-25-2020, 11:08 AM

The wheel pants aren’t that big a deal to remove front half to add air for main wheels. I have TPM’s on both main wheels so I don’t have to dick with the wheel pants unless absolutely necessary. At the beginning of October, I added some O-ring sealant on the valve stems and it improved the TPM sealing. The O-ring sealant looks like a real sticky silicone grease. I use the TPM cell phone app as part of my preflight and log tire pressures to spot any problems.

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Reading this thread it sounds like a lot of people do not have a hole in their wheel fairings for checking & adding air to the tire? Which surprises me, as it seems like a safety issue not having an easy way to check the pressure. If the hole bugs you aesthetically just get a set of these, they work great https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ccessdoors.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelpant.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	3807  
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020

Last edited by rv6n6r : 10-25-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:27 PM

I have wheel pants, I think the plane looks better with them, nothing more.

My pants have a hole that lines up with the valve stem. There is a mark on the tire that points to the ground when the valve stem is aligned with the hole. This makes it easy to find the stem. I use an extension and a digital gauge.

I check and reset the pressure on all 3 every month, there is a reminder on the calendar.
Every time I walk up to the plane whether it is just moved out from the hangar to fly, or walking back to it after a fly lunch, I look at the tires. I can't "see" the pressure but I can tell if one is different from the others.

The remote sensor is novel but IMHO it is just something else to leak. Having the pants off is an option for easier access but the hole is not that hard to work with.

If a flat occurs on the nose wheel in the air it would possibly cause more damage on landing than just a damaged wheel pant (possible flip or ??, even if the pant was not used.

My 5 cents;
Old 10-26-2020, 10:00 PM

If you get a flat with wheel pants you canít just add air to move the plane because the bottom screws wonít be accessible. Youíll have to Jack it up to do anything. Doesnít sound like a big deal ...unless it goes flat at a tie down and you need to taxi to the FBO shop.