What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 Hartzell on O-320

Nr5aJ

I purchased an O-320 160hp with 9:1 pistons and I will be installing SDS CPI-2 electronic ignition. It has 7/16" prop bolts and hollow crank. It is ready for C/S prop installation. I understand that the modifications (high compression and EI) will increase the stress on any prop I install. Given that, would it be reasonable to install a O-360 prop, or am I completely off-base? I am not sure how to adapt the 1/2" prop bolts from the O-360 engines (drill and tap?). Looking for some feedback on how to proceed.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've never heard of anybody doing that. I'd run a regular Hartzel for an 0-320. There's been plenty of people running them on pumped up 0-320s without problems. I have electronic ignition on my IO-320 but only 8.5 to 1 compression and I am running Hartzel on it with no problems,

Call Saber

I believe You can swap out the 7/16” lugs on the crank flange for 1/2” lugs. Call Saber and they will know and fix you up.

Thanks for the input, all! Saber says that the 1/2" lugs would require drilling, so I am planning on getting an O-320 prop for it after all.

I have a 320 with 7/16” bolts. 10-1 pistons, port/polish cylinders, dual pmags and 180+hp. Running a whirlwind rv200 prop for the 320. Whirlwind said it was fine. 110 hrs so far and running great.

The problem is not for the propeller in this case but the stresses on the crankshaft with a high compression engine and electronic ignition producing sharper and stronger power pulses. I was advised with my io 320 with 10:1 compression and ei to avoid aluminum propellers and stick with carbon or wood to reduce the pulse loads on the crankshaft. I ended up with the whirlwind 300-72. Working great so far. It’s the inertia that is the problem.

Back