VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2019, 03:48 PM

Default beginner flight instruction KC area

I have a son who is thinking about learning to fly and lives in the KC area, any recommendations on flight instruction and airports?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:08 PM

Every time I have been in the KC area, I went to Lee's Summit (KLXT). Lots of friends and nice people.

The City runs the FBO so I am not sure about primary flight instruction. If you want to learn RV Formation flying, the KC Flight Team has a formation clinic there in the spring.

I have a trip into KC late March for an EXPO. Plan right now is to fly into KLXT and rent a car.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I have a son who is thinking about learning to fly and lives in the KC area, any recommendations on flight instruction and airports?
Lots of good options. What part of town is he is?
Old 12-30-2019, 06:30 AM

Johnson - Wyandotte county line area, thanks, Johnson county probably good although Lees Summit migh work.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:35 AM

close to Joe's
Old 12-30-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Johnson - Wyandotte county line area, thanks, Johnson county probably good although Lees Summit migh work.

From that location, Downtown (Charles Wheeler) Airport would likely be the closest. ATD is a large flight school with several plane options. There is a retired TWA captain that has a one C-172 operation-McCullough Aviation-that does a good job as well.

Lee's Summit is a great airport but lots of traffic between where he lives and there. OJC has some options but it is a little bit of a hike south unless he is down that way for work already.

We live up north and fly out of Midwest National but there really aren't any flight schools there. Roosterville, just outside Liberty, is a classic small airport and the instructor there has a C-172 and does a great job. I learned to fly there over 30 years ago.

Good luck!
John
Old 12-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Thanks John, less time on ground and pattern due to traffic and closer practice area mean less time to private licence. He works further south do you know how busy the airports in Johnson county are?
Old 12-30-2019, 03:56 PM

I currently fly out of New Century Air Center, between Olathe and Gardner. Several aircraft rental options at New Century Air Service with instructors available as well.

Johnson County Executive airport has a flight school - Air Associates. A little costly being a flight school but gives opportunity for the structure to get it done. I got my IFR rating with them last spring. Neither are too busy and great to work with on student training, although downtown (Wheeler) will give good practice with a busy pattern, close airspace and a nice city view.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 PM

Thanks Brad, I am helping him figure out how to proceed and appreciate the help. I obtained my private and instrument at EWK back in the day, no traffic and lots of practice area.