What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Lower Cowl Installation by Yourself

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I came up with this method of putting the lower cowl in place on my RV-8. Others have also supplied tips, but I wanted something that was small and lightweight to carry in the airplane. I envisioned having to replace the lower cowl on a windy ramp at night on an isolated ramp somewhere.

The pictures show using the "handles" from large binder clips to slip in the cowl hinges on the sides. The parachute cord simply loops over the baffling. I can inch the cowl up into place one side at a time without scraping it on the ground.

I bought the the rope and tension pieces in the Home Depot Aviation department. You could probably get away without that part if you are good at bowlines and slip knots.

Don

I came up with this method of putting the lower cowl in place on my RV-8. Others have also supplied tips, but I wanted something that was small and lightweight to carry in the airplane. I envisioned having to replace the lower cowl on a windy ramp at night on an isolated ramp somewhere.

The pictures show using the "handles" from large binder clips to slip in the cowl hinges on the sides. The parachute cord simply loops over the baffling. I can inch the cowl up into place one side at a time without scraping it on the ground.

I bought the the rope and tension pieces in the Home Depot Aviation department. You could probably get away without that part if you are good at bowlines and slip knots.

Don

Now that you can post pictures directly on VAF, would you please post some pictures of your device?

Here are some pics I took to support my original post. This tightener works in the shop but you would need longer cords for out on the ramp. Any tightener would do.

I clip in at the balance point on the lower cowl (12-13 spaces from the front for me). I can walk the lower cowl in position one side at a time.

Frankly, it's easier to do this way than with two people.

Don

Attachments

• Lift1 (1).jpg
    Lift1 (1).jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Lift1 (2).jpg
    Lift1 (2).jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Lift1 (3).jpg
    Lift1 (3).jpg
    243 KB · Views: 159
  • Lift1 (4).jpg
    Lift1 (4).jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 171
For those with A models

I made a cowl catcher out of 3/4” PVC and pipe insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 96
Cowl helper....

Here are some pics I took to support my original post. This tightener works in the shop but you would need longer cords for out on the ramp. Any tightener would do. I clip in at the balance point on the lower cowl (12-13 spaces from the front for me). I can walk the lower cowl in position one side at a time. Frankly, it's easier to do this way than with two people. Don

Super cool idea! And it will work for most other hinged cowls as well. I don't have problems with my -4 but just might look into getting this setup to make putting the lower cowl on easier! Thanks!

If You Want Something More ...

and are a fabricator -

HFS

HR II S/N 002

Attachments

• Cowling “Puter Oner” - 3.jpg
    Cowling “Puter Oner” - 3.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 56
  • Cowling %22Puter Oner%22 - 2.jpg
    Cowling %22Puter Oner%22 - 2.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Cowling “Puter Oner” - 4.jpg