What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experimental vs Certified Core Value

N82VM

Well Known Member
I did a search but did not find anything specific to my question.

Is the core value of an experimental engine less than a certified? My rationale is that a core value is based off of itself plus the overhaul costs relative to a new engine? For the certified owner a rebuild makes HUGE sense, For the experimental owner Vans new experimental engine pricing is within a close reach of a rebuild depending on the extent of the rebuild. Any more or less $$$ if an engine started life experimental from day 1?

Reason for my question.
I may have a lead on a clone 0-360 on a stalled project. I would have bought it all but the workmanship was not good at all (Blue plastic still on the inside of the wing skins and riveted on) It's in the SE about 150 miles inland. Roughly 5-6 years old, never run except at the factory. "pickled" (that term varies widely). Says it gets turned over by hand, but even if it does that sounds like wiping all the oil OFF.

He wants what he paid for it. Which I would not pay due to the fact I can get a new one and have no worries. I think after while unless someone falls in love with it there will be room to negotiate. I won't need it for a couple years anyway. At the end of the day it's whatever two people agree on.

If I were to cut a deal I thought core value is what its worth due to its stagnant life (Core value is FAR apart from the ask).

Am I being too conservative?

I purchased a engine that had sat for several years. We pulled a couple of cylinders and took a good look inside. Removes the questions you have. I don’t see the engine as you described worth anywhere near core value. If you value it as a core I would assume you plan a full rebuild. If you don’t plan to do that than obviously it has more than core value to you.

If you value it as a core I would assume you plan a full rebuild. If you don’t plan to do that than obviously it has more than core value to you.

True, but the sale price of an item is based more on the value to the seller than the buyer, or for smart sellers the perceived value to the buyer.

Cost, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with the value of an item :D

True, but the sale price of an item is based more on the value to the seller than the buyer, or for smart sellers the perceived value to the buyer.

Cost, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with the value of an item :D

100% agree with the above quote.
It's probably better than a core, but I need to hedge my bet and how much am I saving relative to a 28k engine from Vans? In my mind I'm thinking 10k is fair and that leaves me with a 10k margin for repairs, corrosion, port and polis, to come out 8k or better ahead. I call that my "headache" discount.

To sum up I'm fine with paying 28k from Vans because of the "known" but I need a lot of motivation to buy into "unknowns".

Be very careful buying engine(s) that have sat for several years anywhere. You might end up with a core that ends up being a crankcase and a few odd parts that actually pass inspection.

Bought an engine from a guy who had the engine sitting, supposedly, in the dry air of Arizona. Most of the steel parts failed inspection when I disassembled and overhauled. On the other hand, I pulled an engine off of a plane that sat unused in a dirt floor hangar in the Houston area for 5-10 years and had no internal corrosion upon disassembly. Just be careful. Hate to see anyone get burned.

Last edited:
Back