What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Licensing clarification for LSA

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am a bit confused on LSA categories and what can be done with the RV-12. We are looking at a possibility of a club owned RV-12 that we as a group would build.

Can an owner built RV-12 be licensed as a SLSA then be rented in a club for instruction and pleasure flights?

My understanding is if the aircraft is owner by a group of individuals, a ELSA could be used by the owners for instruction and pleasure flights on a cost sharing basis. This is not a rental then.

What does EAB allow for this type of use?

In the U.S.A., an RV-12 can be registered by the factory (only) as SLSA.
Home builders may NOT register their RV-12 as S-LSA.
If you buy a factory-built S-LSA, you may convert it to E-LSA if desired.
If you build an RV-12, you may register it as E-LSA if built exactly according to
plans with absolutely no modifications whatsoever and if every part was
purchased from Van's Aircraft and if Van' Aircraft provides you with FAA Form
8130-15. There is no 51 percent rule for E-LSA.
If you build an RV-12, you may register it as E-AB provided that 51 percent is amateur built.

It gets a bit complex when trying to do what you’re suggesting...putting an ELSA in a club. Our local AOPA guy had a complete answer to this question, which I can’t remember. I’d call them or EAA. Maybe ask to talk to one of AOPA’s flying club folks.

Back in the 90s I did some dual in a Chinese CJ-6. The way they go around the commercial issue was to sell non-voting stock in a company that owned the plane. That made me a partial owner and able to pay for dual in “my” plane.

Establish an LLC to own the plane and sell stock.

Thank you for the replies. We are still in the planning stages and any information is helpful.

Back