What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iST Empty Weight

bsbarnes10

Hello!
Does anyone know the empty weight of an RV-12iS equipped in the iST IFR trainer configuration? We're planning to build EA-B with the IFR package and I'm trying to figure out how much weight I need to lose if I want to bring more than a few bottles of water with me!

-Bruce

Call me

Bruce,

Call Eric at Van's tomorrow. A lot depends on the configuration. I don't have an empty weight on an unpainted airplane (we paint them before final assembly.) But, based on how you're planning to outfit your airplane, we might be able to figure out a close approximation.

RV12iS

My RV12-iS not painted with duel Garmin G3X Touch (VFR) with every option less wheel pants tips the scale at 774LBS. I would think no more than +20 LBS should do it for the IFR version.

My 2010 RV12 is painted, data plate says it weighs 720 lbs... it has the light kit, stby. steam gage altimeter/airspeed and electric tach...I have the D180 system with auto pilot...I figure it was weighed before painting...I ballpark the weight at 750 right now, I do plan on weighing it in the near future.

If I remember correctly, you service oil and coolant to proper level and drain fuel from tank before weighing.

The procedure is in the Maintenance Manual. You can download it from Van's. It states that you weight it with Oil and Coolant but no fuel.

I wonder if that was dry weight, before oil and coolant added? Coolant is 3 liters, or about 3 pounds and oil is 3.25 qts or 3 liters, another 6 or 7 pounds. No idea what interior weights. I think adding AP adds another 2 or 3 pounds.

My POH dated 10/28/09 on page 4-3 shows a sample loading of with oil and coolant at 738 #s for empty weight.

Early RV-12's with a single D-180, no lights, wheel pants or auto pilot servos, and minimal paint typically weighed in the low 720's (721-723)

My 12is IFR weighs..

Mine with paint, full IFR dual screen stack, wheel pants etc. weighed in at 799lbs. I did prime the entire airplane as I built it so that likely added a few lbs also.

Thanks Hugh and all others who responded. 800# was about what I figured... That means with full fuel I'm looking at 2 x 200 lb passengers and no baggage.

I guess I'd better hit the gym!

-Bruce

On Van’s website it says the RV-12iS weighs 775 lbs (w/options). Does anybody know what options they included to come up with that figure?

Just took delivery of new RV-12 iS S-LSA with dual Garmin G3X, autopilot, Garmin 220 radio, painted and all options Except IFR. 795 lbs. Flies like a dream but the Garmin G3X pilots users guide is 426 pages and adds another 50lbs. ;-)

My RV12-iS weighed 756 before paint and 777 after, so paint added 21 pounds. One G3x Touch, autopilot, AOA, stabilator fairings, no wheel pants. This is before adding a Koger shade, and select interior pieces.

I'll add mine to the list here since I just finished the W&B today..

I have a RV12iS IFR, all the options except the 3-blade prop and wheelpants were off (mounting hardware on). No paint, primer (EkoPrime) on all interior surfaces except wing skins. 3L oil, full coolant (and overflow filled 1/2 way), no fuel except residual left in the lines.

791.3lbs (149 nose, 319.8 left, 322.5 right) ()

By the way, it was a 9lb difference on the nose with the canopy open.. ask me how i know :mad:

With full fuel, that leaves 408 for people and bags.

Back