What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 size pilots - seating options?

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
I'm very interested in ideas for seating.

My airplane partner and I are 5'6" and 6'1" respectively. Currently, our RV6A has an aluminum framed seat that the builder, also probably 5'6" built. The frame set up allows for the seat to slide forward and lock... good for the short guy. But, when the seat is all the way back, my legs are fine for the pedals, buy my head hits the canopy.

Currently, we remove the aluminum frame and place the cushions on the floor for me, and visa versa when he us flying. This works, but isn't ideal.

We are considering an updated upholstery seat project for this winter thus, thinking what options are out there to possibly fix our varied pilot height problems.

SUGGESTIONS? Pics would be great too.

THANKS

My wife and I adjust it with an additional seat booster. I'm 6'3" and she's 5'2". Both sides have a regular bottom/back seat cushion that sit on the seat pan. Then for her we have an additional booster (about 5"-6" thick) that goes on top of the bottom cushion that's made out of the same foam and fabric as the rest of the seats. We also have the stock 6 seat back adjustment that can be brought forward so she can reach the rudder pedals.

It's a simple matter to remove the booster cushion when a normal sized human wants to fly in her seat (sorry honey) and put the seat back in the rearmost setting.

Back