What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
Resolved thx

Hello during application of the new nose gear service bulletin, the nose gear link assembly U-01416 upper threads stripped while removing the locking nut.
The threads are seriously damaged to a unserviceable condition, I guess I’m lucky to get the nut off at all.
Root cause, I didn’t apply anti-seize on the thread during assembly 120 hours ago.
I’m reaching out to the RV-14A community to see if someone is not ready to install the main gear/nose gear, and would generously lend me their link assembly?
In all honesty, Vans has the link assembly on backorder and couldn’t provide me a lead-time, it could be 30-60 days before they restock inventory.
I’m willing to purchase the link assembly or pay for the new one when it returns to stock.
I’m also interested if someone has a clean repair idea that I could perform to get the part serviceable again.

Thanks for reading.
Doug 1-480-286-2608 cell

Last edited:
Please post a photo of the damaged area, this will help with suggestions for a possible repair.

Service Bulletin

I try to read as much as I can before I disassemble a perfectly good flying airplane. I read your post and thought, "**** yet another instruction I didn't follow correctly", brought back the nuns yelling at me in grade school for not following directions! So read my plans and the updated plans on Vans website published in October. I can not find anything about applying anti seize. In fact it says in bold print just the opposite.

Alas I am unable to help you with your problem, actually wish I could, we owe a lot of pay it forward. We have 70+ hours on our 14A now. We are about to start this SB and I am hoping we don't have issues with removing that nut. Pictures would be great. And again I know I'm not helping your issue, but maybe you can spare some of us the problems you encountered.

Many Thanks!

Back