What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid time Lycomings

Chappyd

Well Known Member
Has or does anyone plan to use a mid-time Lycoming? From a $'s perspective I'd like to consider it, but are they really availible? If so from whom? Are the salvage yards a safe place to get a mid-time engine? I once bought a nose wheel from one that was no good and had to send back. I'd hate to have that happen with something that costs 10k or more.

I went with a 1400 hour first run engine. After replacing the accesory case, new carb, new mag, electric ignition, and few other little things it cost me about 11k. The engine ended up running very well. That being said, I wouldn't do it again. I would go with one of the clones. For not much more money you get a brand new engine with a known history. I feel like I got very lucky with my engine, many people end up with 15-20k in a used engine by the time they get it running well.

three years ago I found an 0-320 with 1400 hours on since new site unseen I had a chance to buy it for $3500 buck plus $350 for shipping I didn't have much time to think about it he needed an answer in a day I needed an engine since the one I was buying didn't pan out(seller decided not to sell it and let it sit in his basement for many year longer) so I Bought it When it arrivedI check the cam the compression cut the filter and checked the strainer all looked fine the log books look all good I ended up changing the mags to new ones (felt better about it) and on the mount it went I have since put on 100 hours on it it runs very well I just finished the condition inspection on the engine and all checks out compression is still strong, I no I can get a few more years before I need to overhaul it I am slowly buying the parts to overhaul it so when the time comes it will not be a big parts bill Yes I know I was lucky but even at $3500 it is still a cheap core price, I as other may have mentioned add the cost of a new engine to everthing else the airframe would have collected dust I didn't want to finance anything with my toy

RV-7 painting after 100 hours of flying in maine

If your looking for an O-320 you can get some really good deals on cores, the 360's are a lot harder to find cheap cores to rebuild for, almost more worth it to buy a ECI Kit Engine.

Back