What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit storage

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Hi....I know in the day and age of instrumentation and our small panels every square inch counts ....but has anyone done some sort of storage area above the battery between your legs ? I will have at least a portion of that area available and would really appreciate others experience. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I know VANS has the " glove box that drops down ....might be applicable for me but I have never seen one Many thanks in advance. Stew. [email protected]

The builder of my 4 built in a nice storage compartment above battery. It comes in handy and I do use it. It is easily removed, but does add some time to access battery. I’ll send some photos your way. Chris

I moved the battery forward of the firewall and left the entire forward "tunnel" free for storage. Thinking about a storage "net" to keep stuff in place. I guess one could build a hinged "U" lid to increase the vertical size - just make sure it clears the brake lines.

Disadvantage of that location it's hard to get to, being that far forward.

Finn

I have the same issue with space in my -4. Especially valuable would be space I can access while under way. I'd like to install some fabric "pockets" on the side skins to the left and right of the front seat, just aft of the forward spar. Ideally, I'd like to re-purpose something I can buy and modify as necessary, but I haven't seen a solution yet. Any examples or ideas would be most appreciated.

Forward baggage, sorta...

Hi....I know in the day and age of instrumentation and our small panels every square inch counts ....but has anyone done some sort of storage area above the battery between your legs ? I will have at least a portion of that area available and would really appreciate others experience. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I know VANS has the " glove box that drops down ....might be applicable for me but I have never seen one Many thanks in advance. Stew. [email protected]

Stew,
Short answer, yes.
When I built my Four back in the late 80's. innovation still started with "I." Before the Eight was even a thought, the RV4 needed a forward baggage container.
I came up with mine on a long leg staring between my legs at the battery box. I relocated the battery to the firewall which helped my CG and hinged the forward edge of the box. Voila, lots of room for a tool box, canopy cover, small chocks, whatever...

Additionally I fitted the top of the cover with small fittings that when closed allowed for a bungee cord and attached my small backpack there on top.
Here's a pic...

Hey I flew Bronco's too...hope that helps...
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for those links. That looks like a nice solution. I had been looking at visor organizers but think Bill's zippered pockets would work better.

Regards,

Dean

Attachments

• Visor Organizer.JPG
    Visor Organizer.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 362
More ideas

Many thanks to all. ... this link was sent by a member from VAF ( apologies as I had to delete the email and name escapes me !) ....probably the solution I am going with for side panels ...https://www.kitplanes.com/full-inverted-pocket-system/
.....love the " small world " we live in ....Dean very graciously sold me a rudder kit that is now on plane and Carl extended me a couple of " helping hands " along the way that are very much appreciated.
Really appreciate the wealth of experience in these replys and sure easier than two or three try's to get it right ....." it's a prototype... unless it works !" Cheers. Stew

Thanks Smokey

Great idea on the removable feature for over the battery tunnel ... backpack is excellent idea but I think I have a small vertically orientation flight bag that will be perfect for that area ! Sure pays to reach out !! Many thanks. Stew

Forward Storage Area

Super simple solution. On my RV-4 I bought a motorcycle tank travel bag, cut of the nylon straps and set it on my battery cover between my legs. The non slip rubber bottom keeps it from moving in flight and it’s real convenient for getting to items mid-flight.

Back