What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat belt crotch strap kit spacing?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey Guys-

I was reading ahead, and I see that some people have spaced the crotch strap brackets wider than specified for Hooker or Crow belts. I believe that those comments were pretty old though and I think I saw somebody said that at least crow now has a skinnier mounting plate.

So does anybody know if I buy new hooker or crow belts now if this is still a thing or can I just space the brackets per Van's callout?

Also, on some of the certified airplanes I fly, theres a tab under the cam lock dial that unlatches the shoulder belts while leaving the lap & crotch strap buckled. Do any of the aftermarket belts offer that feature?

Thanks

Crotch Strap Spacing

I wish I had allowed more space for my Crow crotch strap when building my fuse last year. I have to take out some screws to adjust the length. A real pain...

The Schroth buckle I have in my -8 allows you to disconnect just the shoulder straps. I believe Hooker uses the same buckle.

I wish I had allowed more space for my Crow crotch strap when building my fuse last year. I have to take out some screws to adjust the length. A real pain...

So how much more would be needed? I think the standard vans spacing is 1/8" would 3/16" have been sufficient?

I replaced the Crow end plates with standard triangle 1/8" plates. At least on the old crow harness, they were 3/16" thick and the bolt size was larger as well. Swapping ends solved both problems. I used end plates from Summit for racing harnesses. Something like $3-4 each.

There is a good thread here about the Crow crotch strap spacing. I made mine 1/4” apart and will add washers as spacers when I final install them.

Last edited:
Back