What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N798RV got some air under it's wings

walter

Well Known Member
After a six year build the RV-8A was ready with a fresh pink slip from Mel Asberry. The pilot was made ready after several hours with Mike Seager in the factory RV-9A which has a Dynon panel. First flight was yesterday. The takeoff roll seemed very short as the IO-390 and 74 HRT prop decidedly pulled the plane into a calm cool sky over KGKY for a 33 minute racetrack flight at 2500 ft, full power and 2500 rpm. The flight was fun, uneventful and the landing was pretty fair. The only notable items are low oil temps at 180 max and all CHT remained under 320. De-cowled and found nothing amiss and no leaks.

I was initially slightly concerned that I would be flying an RV-8A for the first time, with centerline seating, left hand throttle, right hand stick and a new Garmin panel. All of my flying has been from the left seat to date. Those concerns were unfounded, exactly as Mike stated they would be.

Thanks to my Dad for helping on the build, local RVers Ken and Randy, Mel and Mike, Richard VanGrunsven and especially my wife, for her patience and love, and the big guy for keeping me safe. Big RV smile for the second time.

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_3868.jpg
    IMG_3868.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 355
Back