What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LF skinny back rivet set

rv7mike

I'm New Here
Hey, all.

I'm working on the practice kit, and the ribs are very small. Small enough that the back rivet set I have is just too fat to use! the sleeve is pretty thick, and the rivet set itself doesn't even touch the rivet. Does anyone know of a "skinny" back rivet set that uses a thinner sleeve? I bought mine from ATS.

#mikec

Easiest thing to do is to just modify the set you have. I sanded the sleeve down on one side, so it's now kind of D-shaped. This way, if I'm back riveting a stiffener, I can orient the flat side to provide clearance as needed.

Mike,

Cleaveland's back rivet set has a much thinner sleeve. Or you could do what I did and sand off a bit of my thick-collar rivet set sleeve so that it fits between the flange and rivet.

Hope this helps...

Dave

Last edited:
Remove sleeve temporarily

You may also remove the sleeve and spring temporarily by knocking out the pin that holds it together, assuming it is similar to the back set that I have. Then, use your finger tips to keep the end of the set over the rivet tail.
I have another type of back riveting set, with a tip that is recessed slightly to prevent it from slipping off the rivet, and there is no sleeve. I find it actually works better than the sleeve type as it allows more precise control.

Back