What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Aileron Trim

philfoshee

I'm New Here
I have an RV8 wing kit with electric aileron trim which uses a tab on the aileron instead of the spring system that is currently available from Vans. Any opinions as to which system is better? I haven't installed the trim kit and could change if the new systems were better.

The spring system is not "better" just different. IMHO.
The aileron tab is crisp, visable and repeatable. But does hang out on the exterior of the plane.
The spring system is dependant on the spring being pulled by a servo.
I retrofitted the trim tab system in my -6 before I repainted. A harder job than the spring bias system, but I like it very much.

I had a spring system on my last -8 and had no issues...worked well! Doing the same on the one I'm building now.

Thanks to each of you for your feedback to my question. Since I have the trim tab system I will plan to install that.

I have the spring system and when I bought it the spring was disconnected (on purpose) so after flying a little I decided to install it to see the difference. I used it for a few flights then forgot I had it and when I fly I rarely use it at all anymore. I might just remove it all this month during Condition Inspection because every little pound helps !

I have the spring system in a 7A. Set to neutral and pretty much something to forget (a little over 10 years in the air) it if you manage the fuel burn equally.

Dan

Back