What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How does the RV slip?

Got it. Test piloting. Now where did I put the ‘chute.
I love the discussion. Learning tons as I am sure everyone is.

After reading some of the advice in the thread (not directed at anyone in particular) some is downright dangerous.
Having said that sure get high and test the limits and your skills.
Some of the discussion needs to be considered carefully.

Last edited:
Got it. Test piloting. Now where did I put the ?chute.
I love the discussion. Learning tons as I am sure everyone is.

After reading some of the advice in the thread (not directed at anyone in particular) some is downright dangerous.
Having said that sure get high and test the limits and your skills.
Some of the discussion needs to be considered carefully.

There is nothing dangerous about side slipping, never was. Back in the day prior to flaps being installed every pilot was skilled in the art, no more difficult than walking and chewing gum at the same time. If your unsure of yourself just do your practicing at altitude.:D

Oh nevermind.

Wasn't trying to upset you, if I did I apologise. I taught acrobatics for years and fooling around the edges was something I did a lot but none of it is dangerous as long as you have some room. Its wise to get to know how your aircraft behaves in every attitude and it will make you a safer pilot..

Fear of the unknown

There is nothing dangerous about side slipping, never was. Back in the day prior to flaps being installed every pilot was skilled in the art, no more difficult than walking and chewing gum at the same time. If your unsure of yourself just do your practicing at altitude.:D

I agree! This seems to be one of those areas where some are displaying fear/paranoia of what they don't know or what they "think they know that isn't so". Understanding forward slips and what is or isn't dangerous about them should not be an unknown to competent pilots.

Some of the comments in this thread lead me to believe that some folks are just not getting a good solid education in basic stick and rudder skills and aerodynamic behavior when they learn to fly.

Skylor

Last edited:
Slips expose my biggest gripe about the handling qualities of the RV series I have flown: Relatively poor ?balance? of control pressure. RV stick pressures are light, and remain light through their range, regardless of maneuver. Rudder pressure on the other hand vary?s from relatively light forces to what I would consider almost extreme, certainly heavy. The ratio between these control inputs may be closer than it feels, but stick pressure is so light through the range it is hard to tell.

On airplanes that I consider slip ?well?, especially forward slips, are most antiques I have flown, and certainly the Bucker. The ratio of stick pressure to rudder pressure is consistent. My 42? L3, Champ, Cub?s can?t compare to an RV, but stick pressure increases as rudder pressure does in a relative way. I find these airplanes a joy to forward slip. They feel ?balanced?, all be it way heavier than an RV (except the Bucker which is joyful in both pressure and balance).

RV?s are a great compromise and they slip well enough. You will run out of rudder before aileron, as has been mentioned, and the need to forward slip is mitigated with flaps and proper airspeed control for most fields and all but extreme circumstances.

As far as stalling in a forward slip, a stick forward maneuver, you would have to have a gross misunderstanding of what a forward slip even is, and mismanage your airspeed horribly to get anywhere close when you recover from the maneuver.

3 Minute Summary

I thought it may be helpful to put together a short video that summarizes some of the discussion in this thread. Notes, warnings and cautions in previous posts are worth re-reading; as is keeping in mind that all RV's are unique. Such is the nature of EAB aviation...we are all experimental test pilots once in a while.

Forgive the USAF vernacular: A "perch" is where you start the base turn, a "departure" is when the airplane does something you don't want it to do, and "onspeed" is an angle of attack used for approach and landing (the solid tone in the video tells me when I'm onspeed).

Departure and recovery characteristics vary with CG location. There is good physics behind the aft "aerobatic" CG limit for Van's types.

https://youtu.be/_5xntbFSHf0

Best wishes for a great new year for the VAF family,

Vac

Slips expose my biggest gripe about the handling qualities of the RV series I have flown: Relatively poor ?balance? of control pressure. RV stick pressures are light, and remain light through their range, regardless of maneuver. Rudder pressure on the other hand vary?s from relatively light forces to what I would consider almost extreme, certainly heavy. The ratio between these control inputs may be closer than it feels, but stick pressure is so light through the range it is hard to tell....
Since the OP asked about slipping the -9...

Your comment regarding poor control harmony does not apply to the -9. Due to the larger HS and elevator on the -9, it is probably the best "balanced" of the RV family. It is not overly pitch sensitive like the short wing RV's, even when loaded to the aft CG limit.

Since the OP asked about slipping the -9...

Your comment regarding poor control harmony does not apply to the -9. Due to the larger HS and elevator on the -9, it is probably the best "balanced" of the RV family. It is not overly pitch sensitive like the short wing RV's, even when loaded to the aft CG limit.

Thanks Bill. I have less than an hour in Vans original 9 demonstrator and didn?t do any slips or other maneuvers to get a good feel for it. I?ll take your word.
Through most of the flight envelope, I think all RV?s have decent harmony. A full forward slip will separate some.

Thanks Bill. I have less than an hour in Vans original 9 demonstrator and didn’t do any slips or other maneuvers to get a good feel for it. I’ll take your word.
Through most of the flight envelope, I think all RV’s have decent harmony. A full forward slip will separate some.

I agree with you, the RV's, any RV, flies very nicely! The difference is noticeable between RV's but if you are coming from a certified aircraft, other than say a Pitts, all the RV's are light on the controls.

Even doing a left Base to Final slipping turn stall (at attitude) is a non-event in my -9 (0ther -9's may be different). The plane simply rolls to the right, wings level, and because the tendency is to release backpressure, it just flies away straight and level. (However, the -9 will spin, if you give it full rudder in a stall, same as the other RV's.)

Slipping the -9 is fine and I don't do it below 60 knots on final. Even with full flaps and a full slip, the -9 only comes down at around 700 - 750 FPM at 60 knots. I slip mine on final fairly frequently. (I don't have a CS prop to help slow me down.)

I thought it may be helpful to put together a short video that summarizes some of the discussion in this thread. Notes, warnings and cautions in previous posts are worth re-reading; as is keeping in mind that all RV's are unique. Such is the nature of EAB aviation...we are all experimental test pilots once in a while.

Forgive the USAF vernacular: A "perch" is where you start the base turn, a "departure" is when the airplane does something you don't want it to do, and "onspeed" is an angle of attack used for approach and landing (the solid tone in the video tells me when I'm onspeed).

Departure and recovery characteristics vary with CG location. There is good physics behind the aft "aerobatic" CG limit for Van's types.

https://youtu.be/_5xntbFSHf0

Best wishes for a great new year for the VAF family,

Vac

Enjoyed all of the videos, thanks and AIM HIGH !

Back