Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM
WileEcoyote75's Avatar
WileEcoyote75 WileEcoyote75 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 40
Default RV-6 Transition Training in OR, and flight plan to WI

I am a soon to be RV-6 owner that is traveling from WI to Independence OR on July 14th. I am looking for a checkout and sign off with a local CFI that meets the insurance company requirement of at least 25 hours in make and model. The transition training could take place on the 15th. I would also like to get a price on dual instruction through the mountain portion of the trip. I currently have a tailwheel endorsement with zero time in an RV.

Does anyone have any good safe flight plans from the PDX area through the Rockies they can share for the trip back to KLNR southern WI?

Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Mike S's Avatar
Mike S Mike S is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dayton Airpark, NV A34
Posts: 15,208
Default Welcome to VAF!

Chad, welcome to the good ship VAF.

For transition training in Oregon the man to see is Mike Seager.
Mike Starkey
VAF 909

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 6,546

You did not say if your insurance company has mandated any minimum number of hours of dual. If it's more than 8 hours you'll need more than one day (or more than one cfi).
Mike is very good and thus very busy. Call asap.

For the return trip I highly recommend you beg, borrow, or buy a portable oxygen set up. Then fly over the mountains, rather than around them. Note the airlines generally won't let you bring a tank on board, you'll need to get it locally in PDX. Or ground ship it in advance. Or rent in PDX and ground ship it back.

Not a direct route, but you could fly southeast, pick up I-80 near Salt Lake, and follow it thru southern Wyoming. That's possible without O2.

PS When you call Mike make it clear that you are providing the aircraft, so he doesn't have to get Van's.

Last edited by BobTurner : 07-04-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: PS added
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
WileEcoyote75's Avatar
WileEcoyote75 WileEcoyote75 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 40

The insurance company did not specify a specific time, only a sign off/checkout from a CFI with 25 hours in make and model.

I sent Mike Seager an email this morning.

Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:27 PM
allbee allbee is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 805

there is a fella named brian with a long name. see vans' web site, he is on there. I used him and he did great for me. he is up twards portland.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 PM
azonic75 azonic75 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 103
Default Gary Brown

Try Gary Brown in Independence. If he is around sure he would help you. Search for his contact info

RV-8a Flying
RV-10 Building
J-5A Flying
Extra 300 flying
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 AM.

The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.