What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Grip Start Button

rv4dude17

Well Known Member
I want to dedicate one of the buttons on my stick grip to energize the starter, but I don't want the button to activate the starter if accidentally pressed after start or during flight.

Any Ideas?

The RV-8? I’m buying has a Starter Enable button on the panel. Once the engine is running, that gets turned off. Viola... No electricity to energize the stater.

i have a starter button on the top of my infinity stick grip and i am very happy with it. Hitting it after start has never been a concern of mine.

Three easy possibilities:

1. "Arm" switch on panel;
2. Oil pressure switch (to deactivate starter power when running)
3. Time delay relay (gives power for a set time, then cuts off)

My -7 has the starter interlocked with the mag switches ... I wired it so that left mag (impulse mag) is ON and right mag is OFF to enable the starter circuit. My button's on the panel, but easily could be moved to the stick. Any other mag config will disable starter circuit.

I want to dedicate one of the buttons on my stick grip to energize the starter, but I don't want the button to activate the starter if accidentally pressed after start or during flight.

Any Ideas?

Just curious, what is the rationale for having it on the stick? I don’t see the need to have a hand on the stick while starting and definitely don’t need it during any emergency.

Just curious, what is the rationale for having it on the stick? I don’t see the need to have a hand on the stick while starting and definitely don’t need it during any emergency.

With a nosewheel, no. But with a taildragger and a typical big throttle, fuel injected hot start - the stick better be hard in your stomach or you will be on your nose in a second.

I set my-8 up with start switch on the stick and com button on the throttle. I have an arming switch on the panel with a LED warning light on when armed. Works very well on a taildragger.

Not difficult to trap the stick between your legs during start (that's what I do in my RV-8), and if you're running the engine up to full throttle immediately post start you're doing more things wrong than not having the stick back.

That said, I've had the engine in the RV-8 at full throttle without the tail getting light...but I've only got 180HP and live up at 6000' DA most the time, so I likely have less power than the majority of folks are dealing with.

That said...none of the WWII airplanes have starters on the stick, and they are more likely to nose over than an RV I'd suppose.

Don't knock it until you try it. My RV-8 came with buttons on the grip for starter, flaps, fuel boost pump, A/P disconnect, Trim and PTT.

I didn't care much for it at first. In fact I thought it was ridiculous having the first three items on the stick at all. But then I got used to it. My favorite is the flap (momentary down, locking up). And the start works really well now that I am used to it. There is a starter "arming" switch on the panel I turn off once the engine is running. The panel key switch still works conventionally for those who don't care for the stick button and that's what I used the first few flights until I remembered and tried the stick start button.

While the main purpose of the start switch is to allow the right hand to be on the stick during initial start, it also eliminates motion in the cockpit. Only the throttle quadrant hand moves during start. I really like it. I have a fuel injected engine so hot starts are much easier too with the right hand not having to jump around when the engine starts (the boost pump button available on the stick without looking can help there too).

I own a Husky with a 200hp angle-valve IO-360 that has the standard key ignition/start switch on the left side of the panel, right in front of the throttle area. What were they thinking? It can be quite a goat rope doing a hot start sometimes. Later year models had the ignition switch moved to the right side of the panel. My Husky would be a good candidate for a stick start button but that can't be done on a type-certified aircraft. There is a pretty good start sequence I use that requires no throttle quadrant activity but not everybody knows it.

But flaps. Flaps. Like I said, that's my favorite item controlled on the stick. When the wheels start rolling on landing I can flip the switch up by feel and unload the wing. I have become a real proponent.

Jim Ivey

Last edited:
Holding the stick back during start may not be entirely necessary, but it sure makes me feel better.

Plenty of sources, but here is the flashing LED indicator I have connected to the start button arming circuit:

https://www.delcity.net/store/Pigtai...00789.h_678715

Skytec NL is rewired internally so no external start contactor, just a high capacity relay.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_723 Oct. 02 06.48.jpg
    ScreenHunter_723 Oct. 02 06.48.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 151
Reminder - if you do use a stick button as engine start, that stick button will not handle the current needed for your starter solenoid. You must add a relay such that the stick button operates the relay, the relay operates the starter solenoid.

I started out with a stick start on my first RV (lowered pinky switch on the Infinity Grip). After twice bumping it after engine start I move it to the side panel. I did not miss it from the stick on that plane or the next two I built. So - if you do this add some sort of switch cutout to isolate it after engine start.

Carl

Stick Starter Button

I Love it! Top of my Infinity on the right side. It is out of the way during flight as you have to move your thumb up and over to push it.

I also added a master start switch to turn it off after start.

37B40B18-82A3-492B-8CCC-6F2E35EBF733.jpg

If you have multiple buttons on your throttle grip as well, you can set yourself up with two momentary switches. One on the throttle, one on the stick, and you have to press both to engage the starter. Forces you to put one hand on each while starting, and provides protection from accidental activation once the engine is running.

For the record, I had the starter button on the stick in the Rocket for a while, but removed it with the installation of the SDS EFI.

The whole debate really comes down to a Human Factors analysis- the starter on the stick solves some issues, but also creates new ones. Does one outweigh the other in YOUR case? For me, the EFI makes starting a two handed affair, so the stick button became a liability and it was moved back to the panel.

I have a start switch on my stick wired thru a TCW smart smart. This works really nice with a guarded arm switch on the panel.

(sorry, don't know why pic is sideways)

Attachments

• panel.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 268
I own a rocket with the starter button on the infinity grip stick. I really like it for the reasons that toolbuilder mentioned. My RV4 is easy "ish" to pin the stick with your knees but that's pretty annoying and not a very positive grip either. So I move the start switch to under the left canopy rail. Hand on the throttle and reach straight up with a thumb and theres the hidden switch. Also helps as I don't have a key for the mags or the canopy so it gives a little safety of mind for theft deterrent.

Simplicity

Buttons on the stick are logically reserved for inflight functions, and especially valuable for formation flying. A start switch does not meet that criteria.

If you add an additional switch and relay to prevent inadvertent activation of the starter you're just adding failure points in the starter circuit.

Buttons on the stick are logically reserved for inflight functions, and especially valuable for formation flying. A start switch does not meet that criteria.

Opinion but respected. To each his own.

If you add an additional switch and relay to prevent inadvertent activation of the starter you're just adding failure points in the starter circuit.

Not if you still have the standard start switch on the panel that is wired as normal and doesn't need nor care about the remote switch relay. They both go to the same place. The starter relay.

The failure mode of a starter circuit is pretty low on my list of things to worry about unless activation causes spontaneous explosion.

The failure mode of a starter circuit is pretty low on my list of things to worry about unless activation causes spontaneous explosion.

Apparently you've never been stranded anywhere with an aircraft that won't start.

Apparently you've never been stranded anywhere with an aircraft that won't start.

Not a safety of flight issue sitting on the ground statically. Not germane to a configuration when paired with an independent standard start switch still on panel for redundancy. MTBF is be equivalent. In that architecture if the stick button can't engage the starter and then in turn the redundant and independently wired standard ignition switch can't start it there is no difference. You ain't going anywhere unless you hand prop it. If a Grizzly Bear is charging the aircraft with a bad starter you are in the same boat.

I say you not install a remote start switch on your stick so all is right in your cockpit. And meanwhile for those that want it I say do it. Great thing about EAB is we can use a Pez dispenser for a stick grip if that catches our fancy. There is no right or wrong.

Back