What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 newbie

stamper

Well Known Member
Hello everyone. Well i finally did it. I got an rv10 to build picked up the kit out of texas. The tail section is 90 % done and he fuselage and wings are the quick build. I'm pretty excited to get to know you guys and better yet to meet some of you. I will have some dumb questions to ask since i am jumping in something that is alreay started. A pre thank you is inorder.

Have fun with your build. All of us love looking at photos, so get a fresh card for your camera! This is a great place to find information and parts that you may need. Welcome!

Welcome!

You are close to every -10 builders favorite part...Fiberglass.

Enjoy the build. You will really enjoy the flying.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Ask as many questions as you need to. Lots of us have a debt to pay off from all of the help we have received ;)

thanks

Thanks for all the comments. I noticed a few of you guys from some of your building logs. Your planes look great. Brian was cool reading the work you guys did on your plane and your trip to get paint. I'm not to far from Jackson Hole. Any of you guys put AC in your plane?

rv10 top class

I saw a post a week or so and can't find it even tried a search; but it for a class in feb for doing the canopy on the rv10. Does anyone know the number to reach so I can go to the class?

Mine has free A/C and took about 10 minutes to start working on our Florida/Oshkosh vacations last summer. Unless there were dense thunderstorms or a ceiling at dep/dest, we just climbed out until it felt good. Usually 12.5-13.5k did the trick with portable O2. If you want to haul two couples(600 lbs) plus baggage and remain under gross, you will want to leave off some "extras". I chose an aux battery for my extra weight. It is very handy. It is all up to you and your planned mission. Some choose interiors, IFR panel, O2, spare alt, extra fuel, a/c, aux bat for there extras. A few put all of the extras and can't haul more than a pilot with full fuel. You will want to be careful installing too much aft of CG, as it really takes away from your baggage/rear pax. Also careful about putting a lightweight prop in combination with heavy stuff in the rear. Aft CG makes for interesting landings. I watched a friend this past summer and it was not pretty. We can help with weight/CG questions once you decide on a mission. You won't see many lightweight, simple builds online, but there are many out there. It was a balance between build time, comfort, looks, money, performance and weight. Have fun.

Fiberglass Class...

Who: Dave Saylor and Tim Farrell.

Dave: I started working with composite kitplanes in 1998. I'm an A&P/IA, and I have finished my personal RV-10 project, along with many other composite and aluminum projects. I received my BS in Aeronautics from San Jose State.

Tim: I have spent most of my time working on Lancairs and teaching owners of kitplanes fiberglass and carbon fiber techniques and tricks is what I have always enjoyed most.

When: February 23 and 24, 2013 (Saturday & Sunday)

8AM-4PM Saturday
8AM-3PM Sunday
Where: AirCrafters, Watsonville Airport (KWVI), 140 Aviation Way, Watsonville, CA 95076

831-722-9141
www.AirCraftersLLC.com/seminars.htm

Class size is limited to 15 builders
$425 payable by cash, check or credit card
Please call or email to register, even if you have emailed expressing interest in the last few days.
50% deposit is required before February 1st, 2013. Balance due before class starts.

The nearest major airport is San Jose International. It's a 45 minute drive to KWVI.

Back