What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand starting on Lightspeed ignition

Wesael

Well Known Member
Over the last 7 months I have been pondering hand starting a lightspeed system if the need arises.

I understand the system is advertised to not fire untill TDC when hand starting but looking at the setup makes me question a mishap.

If I understand it correctly the crank pickup sensor does not care which direction the crank is rotating? maybe I am wrong and if I am this is where my problem is. If I am correct the following is the problem I see waiting.

If I start the stroke of hand starting the engine and pull the prop through far enough to make the magnets at 42 deg advance pass the senser this will activate the ignition so that the next set of magnets at 0 deg will trigger the fire.

What happens if you go past the first set at 42 deg then run out of steam (pull) to complete the stroke (never take it all the way to TDC) and let the prop come back to the 42 deg magnets again? I would assume that it will fire on the way back.

Thoughts?

Call Klaus!

I have watched Klaus hand-prop his injected engine many times at Reno. I did not see any issues, other than getting the fuel just so. This suggests that it is possible!
Best you get his input 1st, in order that your hands remain firmly attached to your arms...
Carry on!
Mark

I have hand propped my RV-7 with dual LightSPEED and no problems. Some idiot left the master on, fortunately the secondary battery was able to supply power to one of the LightSPEED ignitions. I won't mention who left the master on in fear that I might embarrass the author.

If you've got two experienced people it's quite easy. Forget about all the "degrees" stuff. Leave it cold until you're at a compression stroke, go hot/cracked and give 'er a fling. I've propped everything from little bitty things up to radials and if done properly it's perfectly safe. That being said, DO NOT take props lightly or non-chalantly...it's a serious matter. Also, be careful mindful of the prop type. Metal is no issue, but I'd be wary with a WW/MT/IVO or similar on a mid to high compression injected engine.

Though it's certainly doable I guess I'd say that as a whole, I don't know if I'd use an injected/E.I. Engine to start learning on. I'd humbly suggest practice on a something like a cub to get comfortable with technique before jumping in to a big bore Lyco/Pratt/Continental. I'm one of a few folks on this forum with the physical and emotional scars to speak from experience if things go wrong when props mix with limbs! Mark hit the proverbial nail on the head with his closing sentence. :)

Cheers,
Stein

P.S. I've had a similar anonymous idiot to Norman also leave my master on one time!

Last edited:
No three-bladed props.

I, too, have been hand-propping for many years, up to and including P & W 1340 cu. in. engines, to prove that I could, but I was scared crazy trying to hand prop my 180 HP -6A with a three-bladed Catto.

Man, that next blade comes at you quickly. so, as Mark suggested, I quit doing that, in order to have my hands connected to my arms, besides, I'm not through with my ag career and need to fly again:)

Best,

I had a very experienced aviator prop mine with dual LSI when I left the master on once. No problem other than me flooding it and giving the guy a good workout (I think he wasn't to happy with me) :rolleyes:

Hand-propped the angle-valve IO-360 with dual-LSI in my -6 once. Poor guy was winded afterwards, but worked fine and no kickback.

Back