What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 aileron trim

The DAR who inspected my RV10 this Saturday (received special airworthiness cert!) said the design of the Aileron Trim Arm (W-1033C) on the Ray Allen Servo puts a rotational load on the Aileron Pushrod (W-1017) which will lead to Rod End Bearing Wear (MD3614M).
He said that the Aileron Trim Arm should be shorter (with a resultant reduction in trim length) or the Aileron Trim Spring Brackets (W-1017B) should be taller.
The way it is now, the springs rotate the Pushrod forward and it doesn't rotate freely
Has anyone experienced issues with wear or shortened the Trim Arm connected to the Ray Allen Servo? The way it is now, the end of the springs are slightly above the Aileron Pushrod so don't have to worry about any wear/scraping but am concerned about the stress on the rod end bearings.

I’d be interested in knowing who the DAR was. I’m not that far from you and had my 10 inspected a year ago. the guy I used didnt even look at the aileron trim servo that i know of.

I dm'ed you. he felt the control tube through the middle inspection plate left wing and noticed the rotational tension on it (it was quite a bit).
He didn't make me take off the inner inspection plate with the trim motor but said he'd noted this to Vans. For whatever reason i couldn't get the bearings set without shortening the aileron trim arm by 3/4" but doesn't seem like a widespread problem

Back