What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Racing seats

One of the local builders found some nicely contoured seats at Staples/Office Depot and "reclaimed" the seat backs for use in his RV-9. It looked pretty nice!

Racing Seats

Racing seats are not meant to be really comfortable. They have to be very firm
to avoid compression during G forces since that can lead to slackening of the harness system.

no, but thought about making some tracks to put the RV10 seats in my 7---if or when I can get back to it. Would help the short legs along with a bent control stick.

Tom

Racing seats are much heavier than required. One of the reasons is that if you are making your turns coordinated, then you do not need the side bolsters the racing seats provide.

Having raced for 10 years, racing buckets are also VERY restrictive and I would not want to sit in one for a LONG cross country.

What I did give serious consideration to was installing 3" race belts rather than the 2" aviation belts. In the end, I went with 2" belts and haven't worried about it.

According to his book "Aiming High", Jon Johanson (flew around the world twice in an RV-4) installed a Velo Seats molded racing seat in his RV so he would be more comfortable than the stock seat. Must have worked for him.

The beauty of homebuilts though, try anything (safely). If you don't like it, try something else. Safely.

Back