What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Wings QB. To close or not to close?

Blizzard

GAP-26 controller, wiring, and Pitot/AOA tubing run. Bracket and mounting items complete for probe. Garmin GSA-28 Roll servo installed right wing along with wiring. All wiring for Zip Tip III's run thru both wings. Tanks have been off, leak tested, and reinstalled. Aileron and flap pushrods have been set for neutral positions and flaps and ailerons now removed. Wasn't planning on installing electric aileron trim. Is there anything else I should consider or a reason I should wait to close the wing up with the lower outboard skins?

Thanks

Install the aileron trim. The gsa28 will drive it to keep load off of servo during fuel imbalance. I would also install Safeair ER tanks. I wish I had done this in the beginning when it was easy. I can’t imagine flying long cross country without them now that I have them

You are going to have to eventually close it as it would not fly well this way and looks like you have done all there is to be done. I agree with Bill regarding the aileron trim but you don't have to decide now as that can nearly as easily be installed later if it is like the RV14.

I have an RV-10 with QB wings. I installed the aileron trim about a month ago. Closed or not closed doesn't matter, since the trim servo installs in the bay in the underside skin that was already riveted in place as part of your QB.

I do recommend installing trim before attaching the wings to the fuselage, since installation is best accomplished by removing the long aileron push tube, which is easiest to do before the wings are joined to the fuselage. It isn't impossible to do later, but easier before.

Back