What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1: Back Out of Phase 1 ? 47 Years Later!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, it wasn?t forty hours, but with the help of many RV?ers (Roy Geer in particular for taking the time to fly over three hours last week), the RV-1 is once again free to roam the skies at will! With 6.2 hours on the clock since re-licensing, I signed the logbook today, putting the airplane in Phase 2 and making it ready for it?s national tour. Roy is now the current ?high time? RV-1 pilot of the modern age ? only 2.6 of those hours are mine. We finished up the test period with some cruise performance around the northwest side of Fort Worth on Saturday, determining that at 2350 RPM it will burn about 5 gph and do about 135 mph. Although I am sure it will go faster, it seems to like that speed, and anything that is that old deserves to be comfortable.

Next weekend is the ?coming out? party at Hicks Airfield (T67) and I hope a lot of folks can make it to try it on for size (who knows, we might be recruiting pilots!) and see it fly ? if the weather permits. Immediately after the event, it will be heading to the GLO Custom, the paint shop at Northwest Regional, for touch-up work and the addition of a new Comm radio and ELT (required for the Canadian portion of the tour). If all goes well, it will be headed east to begin the tour sometime around the 10th of March.

It was really amazing to sit in that cockpit, droning along over the plains of Texas, a Sectional in my lap and roads spread out below. It?s a whole different kind of RV?iating- one that we hope that everyone will be able to participate in through the tour visits, SPOT tracking, and reports from the pilots. It was just about four and a half years ago when I first saw the RV-1, and the dream began. Now, through the participation of many in the community, the dream has taken wing. It should be a great summer!

Paul

Canadian portion of the tour

If you need Canadian Charts for the "Canadian portion of the tour", we'll provide them for you free of charge.
Just email me directly with what you need.
Regards,
Mike
Calgary Pilot Supply
Mike @ PilotShop.ca (no spaces)

Thanks Mike - that'd be great! I'll let Kevin Horton, the manager of the Canadian part of the tour, know to get with you for what's needed.

Paul

If you need Canadian Charts for the "Canadian portion of the tour", we'll provide them for you free of charge.
Just email me directly with what you need.
Regards,
Mike
Calgary Pilot Supply
Mike @ PilotShop.ca (no spaces)
Thanks Mike. I'll put together a list and e-mail you.

Back