What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Destinations

Ben Beaird

The time has finally arrived.

The -6A is finished, the hours are flown off, the kids are out on their own and my wife has suggested we FLY THE RV somewhere for a vacation over her spring break.

So I'm searching for a warmer destination (we live in SE Wisconsin) that we can fly to VFR that has comfortable amenities and interesting activites for a middle aged couple.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Of course, just flying there and back is a good enough vacation for me! But I need the destinatinon to be a pleasant experience for my wife so that she'll want to do it again.

Ben Beaird

Anywhere beach (Key West, Florida, etc) is going to be packed. How bout Asheville, NC? They've got some great scenery, a couple spas your wife might enjoy, a cool railroad tour, the Biltmore estate. Might not be as warm as you're looking for, but surely warmer than WI! http://www.exploreasheville.com/

Last edited:
Santa Fe, NM is Great!! Also Albuquerque. Keep the plane at Double Eagle II and Bode Aviation will take good care of you. Hangar space is usual;y available. We were there last May. Went to Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon, too. Also did Colorado and Leadville on that trip.

Try this in your new RV!!

Roberta Hegy
RV-7A N2447A

mtsoprisclose6gx.jpg

Last edited:
Furnace Creek Inn - Death Valley/Monterey-Carmel

My favority places when I lived in California were the Furnace Creek Inn at Death Valley and Monterey/Carmel.

Santa Fe, NM is worth going to and a short hop up to the airport at Los Alamos is very worthwhile. Silver City, NM is another place in New Mexico (land at Whiskey Creek airport) that offers some interesting sites and sights - including an ENORMOUS copper mine pit, cliff dwellings, rock formation parks, etc.

On the coast of Oregon there is a town called Gold Beach, where the Rogue River flows into the Pacific. They have an airport with a runway next to the beach. One attraction there is the jet boats that carry passengers miles up the Rogue River into the wilderness observing the wildlife and stopping for lunch at the far end of the trip.

Hood River is another great town to fly into in Oregon. You have to rent a car and drive along the road just south of the interstate and see the tremendous waterfalls. Also on this road you will come upon a small visitor's center with the most spectacular view of the Columbia River basin. This is the site of all of the photographs taken to promote tourism in the Columbia River area. This is not far from the location of Van's Aircraft by the way - think homecoming!

To the East there are so many historical sites Boston, Philadelphia, etc. We like Newport, Rhode Island to see the mansions like the Vanderbuilt's Breakers.

Not terribly far from where you live is a very unique place to visit. Mackinac Island has an airport for private planes (but no fuel) and no cars are allowed on the island. The taxis are horse drawn and you can walk or rent bicycles. If you can afford several hundred dollars per night lodging, staying at The Grand Hotel is an experience to enjoy.

In a couple of weeks we are heading down to Sun 'n Fun - maybe we will see you there.

Bob Axsom RV-6A N710BJ

Here's a View of the Florida Keys

Florida11.jpg
Florida12.jpg

This is the first place I'm heading back to once my Rocket is finished.

Back