What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon COM display

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
I recently installed a Dynon COM 25 replacing my Garmin SL30 in my RV8. The radio is positioned in the same spot as the Garmin, just below the AFS 5600 EFIS. The Dynon display washes out considerably if you are not looking directly at the display. Obviously I am looking down at about a 30 degree angle and the display becomes very difficult to see. The freq also displays on the AFS EFIS so this is not a major problem, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this problem, and any recommended solutions.

Did you adjust the display brightness?

Carl
Are you talking about the AFS display brightness? I have found no way to change the brightness of the Dynon only. Only information I've found on the Dynon Com is in the Skyview HDX manual on the Dynon site.

I don?t believe there is a way to adjust the Dynon radio display brightness. If there is I would love to hear it.
George

I don?t believe there is a way to adjust the Dynon radio display brightness. If there is I would love to hear it.
George

From high noon to after dark, there is a huge difference in ambient light. Look for a photocell, make sure it isn?t somehow blocked.

From my recollection and a quick scan through the Skyview install manual, in a Skyview system the display(s) act as the dimming controller (they have a photocell) for the entire system, and dimming is coordinated either over the Skyview network or through a display's external dimming output (for non-SVN devices).

Ergo, in a Skyview system, I'd expect the radio to adjust its brightness in coordination with the displays. However, I'm not sure how this translates to a system with AFS screens. My detailed knowledge is sort of necessarily limited to my system planning.

From my recollection and a quick scan through the Skyview install manual, in a Skyview system the display(s) act as the dimming controller (they have a photocell) for the entire system, and dimming is coordinated either over the Skyview network or through a display's external dimming output (for non-SVN devices).

Ergo, in a Skyview system, I'd expect the radio to adjust its brightness in coordination with the displays. However, I'm not sure how this translates to a system with AFS screens. My detailed knowledge is sort of necessarily limited to my system planning.

I rarely fly at night so the AFS display is generally on full bright. I will check to insure that is the case the next time I am at the airport. The Dynon is perfectly readable now if I aim the display directly at my eyeballs. The more it is angled away the more washed out the display becomes. I am contemplating building a shim to angle the radio up 10-20 degrees.

What I really want to know is if others using this radio are experiencing the same resolution degradation.

When I manually step dim my AFS5600t displays, at one point the Com display begins to dim.

Back