What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Model RV-6 in Solidworks

Nice find!

There's a guy who posted here years ago with a -7 CAD model which he was giving away for free. This one is much more detailed.

Rico, it ain?t me, I just posted the link as provided by my Panther driver friend Tony.

Considering the amount of work that went into it it's not all that expensive.

Lenny

I am tempted. What could I do with it?

1. Simple flutter analysis
2. Load analysis
3. Layout work for the cockpit, airframe and engine
4. Dynamic analysis of the landing gear
5. CG calculations
6. Repair analysis
7. Stress analysis
8. Fracture mechanics for crack propagation analysis

Last edited:

2. Load analysis
5. CG calculations
6. Repair analysis
7. Stress analysis

Understanding some of the guys writing is tough but it sounds like the fidelity of the wing and other parts isn't that great. Look at the comments of the YouTube video.

2. Load analysis
5. CG calculations
6. Repair analysis
7. Stress analysis

That was my first thought as well. I did not see the emp detail but assume it was there.

Understanding some of the guys writing is tough but it sounds like the fidelity of the wing and other parts isn't that great. Look at the comments of the YouTube video.

yes, my concern but if the basics are there.....

Considering the amount of work that went into it it's not all that expensive.
For someone with a commercial use for it, I agree. One might even call it a bargain. But my interest is only personal... I'd like to have it just because I have an RV-6 and i'm a Soliworks user. I could place it in a model of my hangar. I could plan paint schemes. Any number of things that I could do for myself but it wouldn't make sense to try and commercialize.

What I wonder is how legal it is to be selling it at all, given that it's openly advertised as a copy of an RV-6, even though it has the wrong wingtips.

Last edited:
Friend of mine bought one of his Lycoming models and found the parts to be very accurate. Caveat is that they are not native solidworks assemblies and don't consist of indvidual .sldprt files in an assembly.

CFD

I was thinking CFD analysis for speed mods. Most of it should translate to the other RVs too.
There's great detail in the FWF model, maybe that could be analyzed/optimized without all the usual trial and error.

Lenny

2. Load analysis
5. CG calculations
6. Repair analysis
7. Stress analysis

$200 now.
It was $200 before, but I converted to Canadian as i'm in Canada. :)

rocketbob said:
Friend of mine bought one of his Lycoming models and found the parts to be very accurate. Caveat is that they are not native solidworks assemblies and don't consist of indvidual .sldprt files in an assembly.
Oh, snap. Well, if that's the case the value is about zero to me. I wouldn't pay anything if I wasn't getting the Solidworks files so I could edit them.

He's probably just giving the IGES or STEP outputs from Solidworks, which you can import and get solids from again, but you can't do anything useful with them.

....IGES or STEP outputs from Solidworks, which you can import and get solids from again, but you can't do anything useful with them.

Really??? SW is that limited? I can do anything I want with "dumb" solids in NX with Direct Modeling tools. Same with CATIA I'm pretty sure.

Really??? SW is that limited? I can do anything I want with "dumb" solids in NX with Direct Modeling tools. Same with CATIA I'm pretty sure.
You can do what you want with the solids, but you're more limited. You can't directly edit a fillet radius, for example, or a hole diameter. You can "machine" a new hole, or cut a part out, or add more material, you just don't have reliable access to the primitives that created the part in the first place.

There is a "detect features" option when you import an IGES or STEP file, that is reliable for simple parts but falls down when they start getting complex.

I sent an email to the designer and have a little more info... Apparently the engine models he has are solids from Lycoming and aren't editable, as Bob mentioned. But he says that the RV-6 model is his own model and the files are indeeed SW native, complete with all features. I haven't decided whether it's worth buying a copy yet.

Someone should turn this into a model in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. If the flight characteristics are accurate I would think that a lot of RV fliers would pay for that. I like to practice navigation, engine failure procedures, etc. on Flight Sim.

Back