What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Internal wing components

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I’m a couple of weeks away from attaching the bottom skins and am looking for advice in terms of the installation of other parts to save me work later on.
So far, my list includes:
1. ADS B Antenna
2. Heated pitot/controller
3. Pitot/AOA mast

I’ve installed the mounting boxes for the landing lights and plumbed the requisite wires for the ADHRS, AP TRIM, wing lights though they don’t have anything on the termination ends except the supplied pins. I also have an extra piece of conduit which doesn’t have anything except a pull string running inside.

As always, sage advice is always appreciated.
Thanks
Jt

The pitot mount is much easier to do as part of the bottom skin rivet process. I install nutplates for the Pitot heat controller, but mount the controller (and Pitot) after the wing is done. You may want to also install whatever roll servo you plan to use mounting, but not the servo itself.

I assume you are using the standard Van’s ADHRS module wing mounts.

No need to run any wires - easy to do after the wing is done. Do however plan out the wire runs and the Pitot, Static and AOA tube runs. If you are going to have any steam gauges, then those runs need to planned out as well.

Not sure why you want to install you ADS-B antenna in the wing. I install mine aft, along with the SkyView ADS-B receiver. This yields a coax run of perhaps a foot, and a single four conductor shielded wire going from the receiver to the SkyView.

Carl

think about maintenance

I’m a couple of weeks away from attaching the bottom skins and am looking for advice in terms of the installation of other parts to save me work later on. ...
Just remember that whatever you install, you might need to remove. I would not recommend installing something that will need maintenance in a place you can't get to after completion. Apologies if this is obvious. :)

AP Servo

Also, if a particular item will hinder skin riveting, wait till the skin is on before installing it.

Dave

Agreed. Assemble the parts, test fit then pull them. AP servo wasn't on your list but can be installed after. I installed the conduit before bottom skins and didn't have any problems riveting.

All good stuff. Thank you all. Tomorrow it may change, but my plan today is to run the AOA and pitot tubing and the heated AOA/pitot tube Mounting plate and associated piece of .035 angled Aluminum to a wing rib. I plan on spot checking wing fit for interference as I proceed and then rivet up the bottom skins in sequence per the plans.
Jt

Back