What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14A Basement Build

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am in the process of getting ready to build an RV14A or RV 10. Still deciding 2 or 4 seats. Either way I am planning to build as much as I can in my unfinished basement shop. Various reasons, but biggest is my better half likes her garage. Anyhow, it’s not a walkout but I have a wide straight stairway that leads up to the open concept main floor and then out french doors. Building stabs and getting out not an issue. Curious of RV 14 and 10 wing and tail cone dimensions as I want to build a test Jig( wood strips and cardboard) to see if they will come up. I figure if I can build the tail section and wings in the basement over the next 18 months then I can maybe negotiate 1/2 our 2car garage for fuselage before gotta move to hangar.

I know a few threads on this but couldn’t see any wing and tail cone measurements.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
dims

empennage width at it's front end is approx 40" high x 40" wide, not counting the forward projecting skins parts that fit to the fuselage cockpit portion - they can be pulled in to the 40" width easily.

The wings are 10'-2" long including the spar elements and with the wing tip off, approx 42" wide - no ailerons or flaps on.

>> EDIT >> Thickest chord section is right at 8 1/2".

Last edited:
Jeff

Thank you for the reply. I’m also curious of the thickness / depth of the wing. I’m guessing 8-10”?.

Leave off the top tail cone skins

I am building in the basement right now - very similar setup. The tail cone will fit through a normal door when on its side if you do not install the top skins. Of course my workshop is on the wrong end of the house with a turn to get through the door. SO - when I finished thee basement I made the wall so that it could pivot and roll out of the way to fit bigger and longer things into the workshop space. Works great!

Jason Kreidler - 14

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
8" - 10" wing thickness

I would say the wing thickness at 8" - 10" is in the ball park, probably closer to 8" at its deepest. The wing weight with the fuel tanks and the wiring and the auto pilot servo, unpainted weighs right at 80 pounds - wing tip not installed.

Jeff and Jason

Thank you for the info.

Jason. I really like that pivoting wall idea.:)

kreidljj

I like the top skin off idea as it makes sense and I believe in Canada I may need them off for inspection anyhow.

I am still curious how long the tail cone is both with and without the top skins on just have a better vision of getting it up the stairs. As I mentioned planning on building up a wood and cardboard type model to see if possible.

Thanks

Tailcone Length

The lower skins are 94.5”, the longerons extend anther 15.75”, for an overall length of 110.25”. I do not have the top skins installed, hopefully someone else can get the actual dimension. My guesstimate from the plans is that the top skins would stick and additional 10” beyond the longerons, for an estimated overall of 120”. Hope this helps! - Jason

Back