What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finders Fee

Tony Rome

Hello,
Does anyone have experience with a finders fee or introduction fee?
What is a typical amount paid by a seller to someone for bringing a buyer to a seller?
The only action by the individual is the introduction.
Thanks,
Tony

$$$

When I mentioned the name of the builder who introduced me to RV aircraft, he received a $100.00 check / credit and thanked me for mentioning his name. That was 10 years ago. Don't know if Van's still does that, but sure wouldn't hurt to let them know word of mouth is in action.

They must still do it. I received my empanage kit on a Friday and the letter is there for me to fill in for the person I’m recommending?

confusion

Sorry for the seeming confusion. I appreciate the replies.

The finders fee or introduction fee is in reference to an existing flying plane for sale.
As an example, a mechanic or airport employee knows that a plane is available for sale and informs the buyer to contact him.

"Hello,
What is a typical amount paid by a seller to someone for bringing a buyer to a seller?
Thanks,
Tony"

Unless there is some clear, previously arranged agreement, nothing. Perhaps a handshake and a thanks, maybe lunch?

Last edited:
Sorry for the seeming confusion. I appreciate the replies.

The finders fee or introduction fee is in reference to an existing flying plane for sale.
As an example, a mechanic or airport employee knows that a plane is available for sale and informs the buyer to contact him.

"Hello,
Thanks,
Tony"
Unless you are a professional aircraft broker, I would expect absolutely nothing

Unless there is some clear, previously arranged agreement, nothing. Perhaps a handshake and a thanks, maybe lunch?

Exactly. I'd pay nothing for an "introduction" like that. Advertise your plane in the usual places and serious buyers (as well as a few nuts) will come to you. Somebody looking to be paid for "bringing" you a buyer should be told to pound sand in as direct a manner as seems appropriate.

IMHI, a "finder's fee" should be supported by some consideration or effort expended by the "finder" to the benefit of the purchaser.

A simple referral based on casual knowledge would not appear to support a significant fee.

Inspection, investigating prior history, etc., would

I agree you shouldn't feel obligated to pay anything unless it was discussed beforehand.

However personally, anyone who brought or introduced to me a buyer that ends up paying a fair or good price on my high 5 to low 6 figure asset would certainly find a nice bottle of their favorite beverage or similar gift in the $50-100 range to show my appreciation.

Back