What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon rx and tx with vp-x

Hi Jesse,
This is a long shot but did you see the note 1 on the VP wiring diagram? It says:
"Serial must be wired to same EFIS that is powered by J12-9'

Did you power the Skyview from J12-9 on the VPX? If not, maybe that could be causing the problem.

Thanks for the idea. I only have one efis screen and I'm pretty sure it's powered on that pin but ill check that too

Hi Jesse,
This is a long shot but did you see the note 1 on the VP wiring diagram? It says:
"Serial must be wired to same EFIS that is powered by J12-9'

Did you power the Skyview from J12-9 on the VPX? If not, maybe that could be causing the problem.

Tom - good find, but that won't affect this issue. That is for ongoing operating reasons. The VP-X automatically turns on the EFIS if there is a fault on startup, and it only makes sense to turn on the one that has the VP-X data on it.

Issue solved

I simplified the wiring as suggested using only power to the dynon from the vpx, and pins for the rx, tx, and ground to the J1 harness.

Still had the same issues as before and i ran all the same tests as before on the simplified layout. But this time as i stood and stared at it i read the labeling printed on the vpx red box as to which harness was J1 and which was J2. I ran a few checks and then kicked myself in the teeth. I had all the female pins and male pins swopped and the harnesses mistook for each other.

So after about fifteen minutes of swapping the pins out and all the wires from each harness to the other, everything worked great!

Thanks for everyones help!:D

Glad you got it figured out. It's a shame none of us caught that when you posted the pictures of your connector the other week.

You'll love how everything works once it's finished. Keep us updated and post some finished install pictures.

I simplified the wiring as suggested using only power to the dynon from the vpx, and pins for the rx, tx, and ground to the J1 harness.

Still had the same issues as before and i ran all the same tests as before on the simplified layout. But this time as i stood and stared at it i read the labeling printed on the vpx red box as to which harness was J1 and which was J2. I ran a few checks and then kicked myself in the teeth. I had all the female pins and male pins swopped and the harnesses mistook for each other.

So after about fifteen minutes of swapping the pins out and all the wires from each harness to the other, everything worked great!

Thanks for everyones help!:D

Glad YOU figured it out, all by yourself. ;)

Glad YOU figured it out, all by yourself. ;)

Much of the credit for the kicking in the teeth and some of the identifying of the harnesses goes to my hager mate Rob, who posted above and is building some much slower and heavier RV-? than me, lol. Good to see you on the VAF "theonlyski"!

VP-X and Dynon serial data

This is certainly a late revival of an old thread, but I note that Jesse has experienced virtually identical issues with a his VP-X sport as those of a mate with whom I helping finalize his wiring.

I've had great success with the two aircraft I've built with VP-X, but this issue has me beaten

Prior to discovering that you had misidentified J1 and J2 were you seeing normal functionality from the VP-X with regard to controlling the connected devices? I would think logically no.

We have spent a week verifying wiring and cannot see any faults but despite our efforts, the VP-X will not communicate with the Skyview, which is connected to serial port 2.

If I go into the Skyview "serial port set up" and call the VP-X a transponder I see both TX and RX traffic normally, however it simply will not function when VP-X is selected. As such, I cannot enter the license key in the skyview system.

A side issue is that the skyview will not recognize the A/P servos and shows a short circuit on the elevator trim circuit.

In lieu of access to the Dynon forum I'd appreciate yours or anyone else's thoughts

Thanks in anticipation

First make sure you are running the current operating software (15.4.7).

Next verify both serial ?lows? are connected and the same. For the SkyView this is ground. I don?t know what the VPX uses.

Do that and if you still have a problem send a note to Dynon Tech Support. I normally get a same day response from them.

Carl

Thanks for your reply Carl.
It seems certain that the fault lies with the VP-X. The system status had previously shown a short circuit across the elevator trim. To validate that this was erroneous, the trim system it was disconnected completely from the VP-X and it ran on a bench test rig flawlessly.

Furthermore, I am no longer able to connect the VP-X to the laptop.

Alas, it appears the unit will have a trip back across the pacific for repair.

Regards

Michael Brooks

Thanks for your reply Carl.
It seems certain that the fault lies with the VP-X. The system status had previously shown a short circuit across the elevator trim. To validate that this was erroneous, the trim system it was disconnected completely from the VP-X and it ran on a bench test rig flawlessly.

Furthermore, I am no longer able to connect the VP-X to the laptop.

Alas, it appears the unit will have a trip back across the pacific for repair.

Regards

Michael Brooks

Or the other option is to not use the VPX at all. I don?t.

Carl

Back