What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stabilator Cable

JerryG150

Well Known Member
Could someone who has not yet installed the stabilator cables let me know the number of threads on the end of the stabilator cables where they attach to the barrel turnbuckles (short cable as well as the long cable ... same or different and # of threads). Mind are already secured and I want to be sure I have a good enough "bite" into the barrel turnbuckel so I won't have to remove them and reinstall them deeper into the turnbuckle. Thanks.

Turnbuckle tension

The plans specify that not more than 3 threads should be exposed. I assume that specification assures adequate byte. The turnbuckle should be tightened additionally to achieve 40 pounds of tension as measured with a cable tensiometer.
Joe

cable tension

I don't have the plans at hand, but as I recall the cable tension is called for to be 30 to 40 lbs as measured with a tensionmeter...am I not correct?

tension

I didn't start the turnbuckel evenly enough so one side has more threads showing than the other side. I used the tension meter and I have the correct tension.

When my friend installed his turnbuckel so only 3 threads showed on each side it was so tight the forward bulkhead where the front of the cables attach to the pulley system caused that bulkhead to pull inward approx. 1/4" and he was unable to screw in access panel until he removed the locks and made adjustments.

So since I'm not convinced 3 threads showing is "entirely correct" and I hope I don't have to remove the locks and start over, the thread count on the cable end of the cable in an uninstalled (au natural) state would allow me to compute #of threads inserted into turnbuckel.

I'm not certain if I can reconcile 3 threads with correct tension reading ... if not correct tension would win with adequate bite.

I'll probably have to remove the locks and turnbuckels and start again ... just hoping I won't since the scabs on my chubby hands are just forming and I hate to scrape them off before they are entirely healed. Ouch.

32-14 Step 4

I went out the garage to double check. The plans say between 35 to 45 pounds on page 32-14 Step 4. I have not locked mine in place yet, waiting to borrow a tensiometer. I stuck a drill bit through the barrel to use as a "wrench" and have two threads showing right now. I used a piece of paper for a feeler gauge to make sure the control stick did not contact its stop before the stabilator control horn contacted its stop.
Joe

Cable Tension

JerryG150,
After reading your post, I checked the vertical bulkhead under the passenger's knees and sure enough, the bulkhead was pulled aft by 1/8". Luckily it sprung back into position when I loosened the turnbuckles. Since I had the turnbuckles loose, I took one of them apart to get measurements for you. Now my hands are all bloody too. Does that make us blood brothers? LOL
9/16" of the cable ends are threaded 1/4 x 28. There are about 15 threads total.
I used the fish scale to pull the control stick bearing bracket aft. Somewhere between 15 to 20 pounds deflected the bulkhead about 1/16". That can not equate directly to cable tension because of the component geometry. What we need is a BULKHEAD-DEFLECTION to CABLE-TENSION conversion chart. LOL It seems to me that if the cable tension is set with the F-1227 control-stick cover off, then then cable tension will increase when the cover is installed and pulls the bulkhead back into position.
Does anyone know how much the bulkhead under the passenger knees is pulled aft when the stabilator cables are properly tensioned?
Joe

Last edited:
We had the same problems, in the end, I tensioned the cables with the cover part in place over the bulkhead. 30-40 lbs measured with the tensiometer worked great. If you over-tension the cables, I don't think you could pull the bulkhead back into position with the cover plate fasteners. When finished correctly, the cables might seem kind of loose and the stick is smoooth.

Short cable

I learned that Van's intends to post a service bulletin that requires the F-1227 Seat Ramp Cover to be in place when the stabilator tension is adjusted. If the cover is not in place, a bulkhead will be bent. Then if one manages to somehow get the cover back on, the cable tension will increase by a factor of 2 or more, thus over stressing the control system.
In my case, even with the Seat Ramp Cover in place and tension set at maximum, there are 6 threads showing on each end of one of the turnbuckles (3 on the other turnbuckle). After setting the tension, I removed the Seat Ramp Cover and noticed that the under-knee bulkhead was pulled back 1/32". If yours is pulled back much more than that, perhaps your cable tensiometer needs to be calibrated.
I called Van's Aircraft about the issue of more than 3 threads showing on each end of the turnbuckle. The first guy that I talked with would not stick his neck out and say that 6 threads showing was good enough, although he did say that if the length of engaged threads was greater than the diameter of the rod, then it should be OK. He also said that the cable supplier is allowed a tolerance of plus or minus 1/8". The F-1247B long cable should be 124" and the F-1247A short cable should be 33.75", as measured from rod end to center of eye. I recommend that the cables be measured before installation. An easy way to do that is to lay the cable on top of a tape measure, align the center of the eye up with the 10 inch mark, and then subtract 10" from the mark under the end of the rod. The cables can then be paired up so that the total length of the two upper cables equals that of the two lower cables. Or if a cable length is out of spec, then it can be replaced before installation. One of my F-1247A cables is 1/8" shorter than 33.75". Although that is within (barely) the manufacture's spec, it is part of the reason that there are 6 threads showing instead of 3. I called Van's a second time and was told that 6 threads showing was good enough. He is probably right, but I told him that I would feel more comfortable with a longer cable. He agreed to send me one. Unfortunately, Van's does not sort the cables by length. I may or may not get a longer one.
If Van's is listening, I suggest that the cables be sorted so that each customer can receive a matched set of the correct length. The time spent sorting cables will be more than made up for by not having to answer phone calls concerning cable problems. Fewer problems mean happier customers and more business.
Joe

Hi Joe,

Cables need to be measured while under tension so it will be necessary to pin one end and attach a weight to the other end to get an accurate measurement of the cable length. Perhaps someone else can find the reference to how much weight for each diameter of cable.

Best regards,
Vern

Joe, is each cable + or - 1/8"? If so, that could be a real issue. I just installed mine and I have 3 threads on one, and 4 on the other showing. This is , however, with the ramp cover off. I have yet to try it with the cover on. I have a few things to double check before I button everything up. One issue with the ramp cover on is how to confirm that the stick hits it's stop before the stabilator hits its stop.

stick-to-stop clearance

Mark,
Each cable has a tolerance of plus or minus 1/8". It is possible to have two cables that are 1/8" short adding up to 1/4". Since there are 28 threads per inch, that quarter inch amounts to 7 threads, 3 1/2 on each end of the turnbuckle.
As for checking the stick-to-stop clearance, temporarily attach an angle in lieu of the cover while setting the tension and checking clearance. Two screws are enough through the angle if they go into the bearing bracket.
Joe
DSCN4045.JPG

New Cable

Van's sent me a new cable. I put an AN3 bolt through the eyes of both the old and new cables to hold their ends even for measuring. The new cable measures 33.75", right on spec and is 1/8" longer than the old one. Not having the borrowed tensiometer anymore, I tightened the turnbuckle until the under-knee bulkhead was pulled aft by 1/32". Now there are 3 threads showing on both ends of both turnbuckles. I will check the tension again when I borrow a cable tensiometer and the seat ramp cover is in place. Having cables of the correct length solved my problem of too many threads showing on the turnbuckle.
Joe

Cable length

I know this is an old thread but has anyone confirmed the cable lengths?

?The F-1247B long cable should be 124" and the F-1247A short cable should be 33.75", as measured from rod end to center of eye?

I thought you measured the cable from the centre of the fork hole to the end of the treaded turnbuckle stud?

Thanks,

Back