What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 door strut upgrade

bomber_JB

I have the C-1016 door strut from Vans. I'm upgrading the strut bracket from Plane Around. Should I upgrade the door strut and if so what's recommended?

Thanks

Jerry

This is what I used and am very happy with results.

Bansbach Easylift - Part # A1A1F50-100-287/600N. Costs in 2019 was $62 each. www.easylift.com

Three things I like about it:
1. Very strong! Before I installed windows and hardware, was afraid it was too strong. But after added weight of windows, door lock hardware etc... it works great.
2. It is "self dampening" to slow the opening of the door in the last few inches of lift. Be sure to install fat side up (door side), or the self dampening will not work properly.
3. Stroke length allows me to grab door while standing on the ground when door is open. A friends RV-10 has another brand, and even at 6'2" I can't reach the open door from the ground to close it (it's too high up). Mine has just enough length to open fully, but not too much that I can't grab the door to close while standing on the ground.

This is what I used and am very happy with results.

Bansbach Easylift - Part # A1A1F50-100-287/600N. Costs in 2019 was $62 each. www.easylift.com

Three things I like about it:
1. Very strong! Before I installed windows and hardware, was afraid it was too strong. But after added weight of windows, door lock hardware etc... it works great.
2. It is "self dampening" to slow the opening of the door in the last few inches of lift. Be sure to install fat side up (door side), or the self dampening will not work properly.
3. Stroke length allows me to grab door while standing on the ground when door is open. A friends RV-10 has another brand, and even at 6'2" I can't reach the open door from the ground to close it (it's too high up). Mine has just enough length to open fully, but not too much that I can't grab the door to close while standing on the ground.

I used the same strut, but with the 540 or 560N version. Works well for me. Seems either works well without interior panels depending upon how strong you want it. I think they shipped me one of each (540 and 600) by mistake. One door opens with real authority and the other is a tad lazy, but works. I prefer the latter.

Larry

Last edited:
I also switched the these Bansback gas springs, but I used different end fittings. The A1 M8 is too wide to fit without trimming, and they leave the door a little lower when open.

I got fittings from McMaster-Carr. One is short and the other long. These add up to the same length as the Van’s part, and I install the long one on the door hinge, giving great clearance. The short one then goes on the fuselage end. I only needed to slightly trim an edge (about 2mm) in one spot for clearance.

The part numbers are:
9416K88
9424K15

Back