What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buzz in Audio

Keith Williams

Well Known Member
Just returned RV12 to service after trim problem that required repair of the Control Module by Van's.

There is now a loud buzz in audio that begins as the Skyview boots up. The buzz is in both headsets and goes away when there is any voice activity on the radio or intercom and returns when that voice activity stops. Removing the PX headset does not help. The buzz stops if I put the intercom on isolate.

There is a second issue. In flying the plane I am no longer receiving any Skyview voice messages/warnings. There is a warning in the lower right messages part of the screen that says "Audio Subsystem Fail".

I wonder if the two may be related. I have written Dynon but wondered if any of you have experience a similar problem or set of problems.

If its the same problem that I worked on yesterday that I got help from the forum - it was that the music input was turned up to max and I wasn't using it. In the Garmin G3x it was in an audio menu screen, probably something similar for Dynon. Give that a try

But that sub system problem sounds like something dynon need to help you with first

Thanks. I had seen your post and reply but somehow did not make the connection between clicking noise and my buzz. Hmmm, am I loosing it? Going to get after that music input and see if it helps.

Disconnected music input jack but no improvement..

I am coming to believe it has to do with an audio level that is too high. Before the repair, for years, I heard a faint to low moderate "buzz" as Skyview screen came on. That was slightly annoying but acceptable as it went away during radio activity and was drowned out by engine noise when underway.

Thinking next step is to uncover (again) the behind the panel electronics and see if I can improve it by changing the pots on the control module. Maybe whatever part of the audio mixer that Skyview feeds through got turned up too high during the repair.

Downloading Settings

Dynon tells me that the "Audio Subsystem Fail" message is a hardware problem so I have arranged to swap my Skyview for a rebuilt one from Dynon.

Before I remove and send in my old Skyview I need to download and save the settings from my old one. I did not easily find how to do that in archives here. I confess I have not yet searched the Skyview install manual.

Before I remove and send in my old Skyview I need to download and save the settings from my old one. I did not easily find how to do that in archives here. I confess I have not yet searched the Skyview install manual.

Keith -

The info you are looking for resides in the SkyView instillation manual. Insert a flash drive in the USB port and press buttons 7 & 8 together to enter the settup menu.

Then navigate to SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SOFTWARE > EXPORT SETTINGS…

Your settings will be copied onto the USB flash drive. When you get your SkyView back from repair you can load your settings file by entering the setup menu and navigating to SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SOFTWARE > LOAD FILES and select the Export Settings file you previously made prior to shipping the SkyView off for repair.

Happy flying,

Last edited:
Exactly what I needed. Thanks John for taking the time to reply. I know that with some diligence I could have found it but I am away from the plane for a bit and planning next steps.

Keith-

An after thought. Since you mentioned you were getting an exchange for your SkyView don't be surprised if you don't see the RV-12 splash screen ... it is very likely you won't. Just go to the Van's link below and have a look at the read me file. You will see you are to follow a flow chart which will have you download all the files as though you are doing a fresh install.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/SV-PRE-SETS-READ-ME-02-14-20.pdf

After going through all the steps in the flow chart and installing all the Van's setting files, your very last additional step will be to load the configurations file you made prior to sending off your SkyView so you can get back all your personalized settings.

I have not personally had to do this yet ... so do not know first hand if the configurations file will bring EVERYTHING back (thinking it likely won't) without loading the Van's files. If it does not, I'm pretty sure the above advice is accurate and will get you where you need to be. Perhaps other RV-12 owners that have had to go through a SkyView exchange can chime in and tell us what they had to do to get the RV-12 splash screen back along with all their settings.

Installing Replacement Skyview

Thanks so much John. I was not aware of this read-me file (20+ pages, 65 steps - looks like a lot of opportunities to miss something).

It appears that this saves nothing of my present settings. Instead it resets everything to Vans defaults and requires me to enter all new info just as if I were building the plane and entering this info for the first time. Going to be a long process. I need to copy down as much as I can (e.g. fuel gauge calibration and any other custom settings I have). Then comes all the initial set up and recalibrating plus finding a workaround to eliminate that canopy warning business.

I liked your first response better. But I expect this is necessary. I have been flying the plane for almost 8 years now and never updated the Skyview through Vans. I got used to working directly with Dynon on everything when I converted my IFR RV6 from analog to Skyview five years ago. Much easier than this.

If this is really not necessary, someone please chime in and let me know.

Keith- It is not as bad as you think.

Not positive about this ... (perhaps a call to Dynon for verification is in order) but I'm pretty sure all the calibration settings get saved in the settings file when it is exported to the flash drive. This is based on the verbiage on page 21-3 of the SkyView System Installation Guide–Revision W for receiving a "like new" SkyView from Dynon. See link below:
https://dynonavionics.com/public_html/yabbfiles/Attachments/SkyView_System_Installation_Guide-Rev_W_v14_0.pdf

So basically you load up all the Van's files that are applicable to your RV-12's configuration so the proper EMS sensors, serial ports, etc. are established for the installed devices. (In fact, you may only need to load the one file that creates the Van's RV-12 splash screen). After the appropriate Van's file(s) are loaded, I'm pretty sure (based on the Dynon SkyView instillation guide) all you need to do is reinstall the settings file you saved. This should get you back to normal without the need for recalibrating fuel levels, trim settings, autopilot, ect. Also, when installing the software, make sure the autopilot, nav, ect. is powered on.

Last edited:
This came to a good resolution yesterday. I spent the day trying and failing to get the Van's files to be recognized by Skyview. In the evening in frustration I imported the settings from the old Skyview. I found it necessary to do the steps where the system finds the items in the network and configures them. After that the new Skyview seemed just like my old one. In rechecking this morning I found that it had lost my engine times. I loaded them and test flew this morning and afternoon. Everything seems to be intact.

For the first 8 years with the RV12 I got data and updates direct from Dynon. It looks like I will continue that way. My system says Dynon when it boots up instead of RV12. I like it that way. I wonder what I am missing (other than the need to work around the canopy warning) but for now intend to do as I have been.

I am open to using the Van's updates if there is a clear advantage but based on my experience yesterday I will need a good reason to do so.

Thanks again for your interest and help with this.

Back