What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT Sensors

pilotyoung

Well Known Member
My RV-12 has 607 hours on it. Several months ago the right CHT started fluctuation wildly during flight. So during the condition inspection in March I replaced it and it is working fine since then. Today while flying home from Georgia at 9,500 feet, the left CHT started fluctuating a lot.

So my question is have others had these problems? Are the sensors failing around 600 hours?

Thanks in advance.

I suspect that many a fully functional sensor has been prematurely replaced because of a basic wiring issue. Rapidly fluctuatung indications may suggest an electrical issue. Check that the CHT push-on connector and wire are clean, well crimped, and firmly attached to the sensor.

Mine failed at 250 hours. I have my SECOND Kavlico fuel pressure going erratic now. The replacement for the fuel sensor is now $129! I'll live with the high erratic pressures for now.

I suspect that many a fully functional sensor has been prematurely replaced because of a basic wiring issue. Rapidly fluctuatung indications may suggest an electrical issue. Check that the CHT push-on connector and wire are clean, well crimped, and firmly attached to the sensor.

^ This... previous owner went through and changed L EGT, and it still didn't solve the problem. I went through and hit all the connections with disconnect and reconnect 5 or 6x, after spraying CRC contact cleaner on the spade connnectors, male and female. Also, Double and triple check the crimps, especially if it's thin wire that you had to double up to get it to crimp tightly.

Exposure to salty air near anything coastal or near oceans, IMHO, aggravates the situation with spade connectors.

Back