What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing wings

Freakshow108

Well Known Member
I have done a ton of research and cannot get a clear answer. I?m so so with electrical. My question is what all should be in the wings before closing?

My plans are:
IFR
AUTO PILOT
This is what I have already done:

Heated pitot tube is installed with tubes ran to root.
Controller for pitot tube mounted on rib.
Ribs are drilled and grommets installed.
Garmin roll servo is installed.

I?m curious as well on what pair wire to run for servo, I know that it needs to be shielded and installation instructions give the AWG but I?m not clear on the number of wires required. Any help would be much appreciated.

wings inside

Before closing the wings You might want to also:
1. aileron belcranks including calibrating them for level
2. run antenna wire to tip for NAV (VOR) antenna if you are going to use a Nav receiver.
3. Tighten all the tank bolts

I waited till very late in the build to finally close them.

You didn?t mention lighting, so I?ll add wing tip lights and landing/taxi lights. If you are planning on running wiring to the wing tips most folks install some form of conduit. Easier to install additional wiring in the future.

Be sure to try to plan your pitot system plumbing and your wiring connections at the fuselage. If there is a RV near you ask if you can look at their connections and routing. You may find you want your terminations in different locations.

Run conduit for wiring. Leave a string in the conduit for whatever needs pulled in the future.

Thanks for the replies. Conduit is in so I will pull strings and just pull the wire later. Tank bolts are torqued and bell cranks are in with push rods attached and neutral templates attached. Thanks for the help!

Back