What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probe Part #

DickB

My left EGT probe has failed after about 160 hrs. I tried to order one, but the Van's parts person was not sure of the part # for the RV12. The only part # for an EGT probe she could find was IE P-110. The plans just show it is part of the Dynon sensor kit. Does anyone know if this is the correct #?

I assume that you are talking about an RV-12/ROTAX 912 ULS. When I had to replace one of my EGT probes last year I went to Dynon's website (currently inop) and ordered a replacement probe (@ $30 as I recall). Just give Dynon a call. Be sure that you order the probe with the correct size hose clamp for your exhaust pipe diameter.

Thanks David, I will try Dynon. The EGT probe that the Van's parts person could find was $95, so it sounds like that is not the correct part.

EGT part number

I just replaced one of mine with this one. It works.

Dynon prefers not to sell parts but probably will refer you to a distributor.

Available from AC Spruce Part no. 10-01844 for $36.00 plus shipping.

i-x4Hpj22-L.jpg

Thank you Tony! I sent Dynon a request message, but have not heard back from them. But from what you say, it may be a wasted effort. Aircraft Spruce will certainly be an easier path to take since I could use a few other things.

I heard back from Dynon on the EGT probe. They said they have it available on their Web Store for $36.00 - the same price as Aircraft Spruce.

wiring issues, too many connectors

I just ordered the Dynon part from Aircraft Spruce today, for my Left EGT. Does anyone remember how long the wiring is from probe to the connectors?

I've got patched in wiring that's a royal PIA and intermittent, with the left connectors down close to where the wiring harness comes out of a loom under the left air filter, under the radiator hose.

Kind of a nightmare to get at it, but it has to be done. Hoping there's at least 48" or so to work with. Also, are spade connectors already crimped on the Yellow and Red Wires, or is something heavier soldered in place to the cloth covered wires in the SS jacket?

Kind of a nightmare to get at it, but it has to be done. Hoping there's at least 48" or so to work with. Also, are spade connectors already crimped on the Yellow and Red Wires, or is something heavier soldered in place to the cloth covered wires in the SS jacket?

It's been a while since I installed a new EGT probe, but 48" sounds pretty long. I'm thinking more like 30" or so.

I was on downwind this morning and pulled the power back to setup for landing when I got a warning tone. I looked and one of the EGT's was at over 2000 degrees. I figured right away it must be an indicator error as I had just looked at it a minute earlier and it was 870. And the other indicator was still normal.

So my question is what is the typical indication when an EGT sensor goes out? does this sound like the scenario?

When my right-side Dynon SV / EGT probe started acting up (@ 700 hours) it's reading varied all over the place very quickly and erratically with occasional forays into the big red X. It was a wiring connection issue. Wiggling and reconnecting the wires usually corrected this display issue. When my EGT probe died for good it just displayed the big red X.

My RV-12 has the Dynon D-180 so it did not show a big red X. I ordered the EGT probe from Dynon,Installed it and all is right with the world once again.

So just FYI a bad EGT probe on a Dynon D-180 shows a very high EGT like 2000+ degrees.

EGT Probe replacement

Just replaced both EGT probes and Voltage regulator. EGT probe leads should be long enough to connect to the plugs coming from Dynon. I removed the clamp on the left air filter and moved it out of the way. If the connectors are difficult to get to (my left was easy, the right was difficult), use this opportunity to clean up the wire bundle to get better access to these 2 sets of wires. The connectors are very tight. You may even think they were not meant to come apart. You will need good access to them to get them apart without using pliers . Some new tie wraps and you will be good to go for next time. There will be a next time!.

Last edited:
Back