What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary Tail Number Technique

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I'm at the point where I need to pick a darn tail number and commit to it, at least long enough to get the plane flying so I can fly to the paint shop. I also need to point out the EXPERIMENTAL nature of my plane on the outside.

What have people found to be the best option to temporarily mark the tail number and such on the exterior of the plane? I think I'll have the plane out in all seasons before paint so it needs to survive heat, cold, rain, and snow, not to mention the plane's 200-knot VNE.

I'm at the point where I need to pick a darn tail number and commit to it, at least long enough to get the plane flying so I can fly to the paint shop. I also need to point out the EXPERIMENTAL nature of my plane on the outside.

What have people found to be the best option to temporarily mark the tail number and such on the exterior of the plane? I think I'll have the plane out in all seasons before paint so it needs to survive heat, cold, rain, and snow, not to mention the plane's 200-knot VNE.

3" boat registration number & letter decals. I flew for 2 years with them before I finally got my plane painted -- no issue whatsoever handling RV airspeeds and they came off easy.

Last edited:
And it doesn't have to say experimental on the outside.... the reg requires that the 2" high EXPERIMENTAL placard be visible at the entrance to the aircraft.

On the outside adjacent to the door or area where you enter the cabin or cockpit does meet that requirement, but locating it inside but visible from any position you would be entering, meets it as well.

That is why on most 2 seat RV's you see it on the rear baggage bulkhead (visible as you step in) and on RV-10's it is common to see it on the inside side walls beside the front seats (visible on the opposite side wall as you go through the door opening).

Ditto what Carl said. They even slant correctly on each side. :). Sorry the image is sideways in the thumbnail. It is correctly oriented when you click it.

Attachments

• D8A1B64C-8313-4CD1-95F8-135FC61E1B27.jpeg
    D8A1B64C-8313-4CD1-95F8-135FC61E1B27.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 254
Sign Shop

Any sign shop can print out N-numbers, Experimental. Your name, city and state to go on the side of your canopy. Easy to apply!

Staples has vinyl numbers in many sizes. I used them for temporary marks when I imported my -6. They worked fine, never showed any inclination to peel off due to flying. Came off easily when I wanted them to.

What Carl and MED said.

I purchased my permanent number from CHIEF but I now see Spruce has them.

The permanent vinyl numbers will come off with a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun and the price is acceptable. I helped a friend remove their number when the changed to a different number.

A Cricut will whip them out also. Surely you know some crafters. Would likely only cost the little roll of vinyl (JoAnn's/Michael's/etc) and the transfer tape.
My wife bought a Cricut Joy and I did a logo with little fuss. Simple numbers should be no problem.

Any vinyl cutter will work. I've got a Cameo and cut the N-numbers and the Experimental placard for my RV-6. You can even cut paint masks if you want to go that route.

Back