What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV8s with a Rotax engine?

Just curious if anyone knows of any RV-8s with a Rotax 912iS or 915iS engine out there? That would be the dream as I love the iS/FADEC.

That would require a significantly longer engine mount to compensate for the lighter weight.

Also, the RV-8 is designed for 150 to 210 hp engines.

You can added full electronic controls to a Lycoming engine, a number of builders have done so with good results.

That would require a significantly longer engine mount to compensate for the lighter weight.

You can added full electronic controls to a Lycoming engine, a number of builders have done so with good results.

I'm curious as to what an RV-9 would do with a Rotax 915is; 140HP but also with the turbo. Lighter overall airplane, and potentially more power and performance up high.

Fernando

Rotax engine in an RV8

A 160 hp lycoming engine is actually less expensive than a rotax. Looking at Van's firewall forward kit and 912 uls engine package.

Thanks, Bill! Anywhere I can read more about that?

I'm curious as to what an RV-9 would do with a Rotax 915is; 140HP but also with the turbo. Lighter overall airplane, and potentially more power and performance up high.

Fernando

My -9 started life with a 140 hp (135 hp continuous) O-290d2 Lycoming.

It was a great engine for the airframe, if it is kept light. (Mine was 990 lbs for its first flight.) Cruise at 65% power was right 140kts / 160 mph and it would climb at 1600 FPM on a hot day at GW.

Think about that for a second, you could fill the tanks and still have room for 544 pounds of people & stuff and cruise right along at about 5.5 to 6 GPH.

Unfortunately that engine died an inglorious end due to a prop strike and I replaced it with an O-360.

It was a great engine for the airframe, if it is kept light. (Mine was 990 lbs for its first flight.) Cruise at 65% power was right 140kts / 160 mph and it would climb at 1600 FPM on a hot day at GW.

Think about that for a second, you could fill the tanks and still have room for 544 pounds of people & stuff and cruise right along at about 5.5 to 6 GPH.

Unfortunately that engine died an inglorious end due to a prop strike and I replaced it with an O-360.

If the 290 was that good then why didn't you replace it with an O320 140HP?

Nice

Yes, that's why I am very curious how an RV-9 would do with a Rotax 915is which continues to produce 140 hp up to 15,000 feet. Great for high density altitude days, or flying out west.

Fernando

Back