What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLEDs and Paul: A bright combo!

tcoverst

I had to take the time to recommend and commend Paul at FlyLEDs. I have ?the works? lighting kit on my 9A and the lights are super bright.
For the last couple of months I had been chasing gremlins in the lights. On preflight it seemed like I would have a different light out each time. It finally centered on my tail light/strobe and was not working. I reached out to Paul for any suggestions on sorting out the problem. Paul went above and beyond the call of duty by exchanging quick email responses with helpful tests I could run to slowly rule out different parts of the system as faulty.
In the end it was some faulty ring terminals with oxidization on them on a block under my seats. (My hangarmate assures me that its always something simple). I could have spent lots of money or time on new lights or new control boards - but Paul?s help allowed me to chase the problem down to replacing four ring terminals.
Way to go Paul and thank you. You guys should check out flyLEDs for your plane. Good system layout and design makes it an easier addition to your plane and those lights are so bright its crazy! If I?m coming to your airstrip - you will definitely see me coming!
Wigwag at ya later
Tim

Yep. Paul has always responded to my emails quickly.
I just installed FlyLeds nav/strobes that I bought over a year ago. I had to ask a few questions even tho his instructions are very good. And he?s an advertiser here, so support him. U won?t be disappointed.

Yup, I had very positive interactions with Paul while working on my light kits, both the product and the man are first-rate. Highly recommended.

In the end it was some faulty ring terminals with oxidization on them on a block under my seats. (My hangarmate assures me that its always something simple).

The way I like to phrase this in the software world is that when troubleshooting, the more confused you get and the more absolutely nothing makes sense, the greater the chance that it's something extremely dumb. Some of my most painful debugging experiences involved a typoed variable name...

me too

Another endorsement for Paul and FlyLEDs. I too had a series of issues and Paul was nothing short of exceptional in helping me find and fix my mistakes. THere was one component that shipped with my kit that Paul had seen some problems with so he sent me a replacement at no cost. First class operation and the lights work great now.

Had a board full off of bench and damage a nav led and one of the landing lights, emailed paul and he replied 2 hours later that replacements were in the post that day, great service. On receiving he had given me a couple of extra parts , and the works kit is great value in my opinion. Thx Paul

I put his Flyleds on my plane few years ago and I'm STILL happy! Super bright! I would not go any other way than to buy his products!!! I've met him at OSH.... super guy!

Leading edge combo lights

I helped Tim C. troubleshoot his wiring issues. Great documentation on Paul?s site and quick feedback from Paul on what to look for.
Late today, I flew my 7A with FlyLeds leading edge combo lights installed for the first time. What a difference compared to the original halogen!

Paul deserves our support. I purchased a pair of FlyLEDs landing lights from another VAF advertiser, and managed to destroy one during a lab evaluation.

According to Paul, I was the first customer to do this, which is a bit embarrassing. He sent me a new subassembly for a good price and all is good. After my evaluation, I mounted them in my Rocket, and I will likely mount some in my RV-15 clone as well.

Paul uses a current regulator to provide about 1.1 amps per lamp. This is an electrically quiet (no radio interference) method of driving the lamps. I had to remove the inrush current limiters I used for my halogen lamps because they were designed for 7 amp loads. Other than that, the install was easy.

V

Last edited:
Another endorsement for Paul and FlyLEDs. I too had a series of issues and Paul was nothing short of exceptional in helping me find and fix my mistakes. THere was one component that shipped with my kit that Paul had seen some problems with so he sent me a replacement at no cost. First class operation and the lights work great now.

same here. Had a bad eeprom and was in phase I. He even had his US distributor send one as well to speed up things for me. Paul is a top shelf vendor imo. In addition, when we were troubleshooting the issue, he listened to my feedback about what I was seeing electrically and respected and accepted that input. Most vendors assume you don't know volts from ohms and immediately skip to the most common issue or blame it on user issues.

Larry

Last edited:
Back