What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera mounting

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I have a GoPro 4. i was wondering what the best way to mount in the cabin and then on the wing.

I would like to have the camera recording everything going in in the cockpit during first flight and test phase. So what is the best method to mount so that the GX3 data is recorded.

I assume at some point, more than one camera will be desired.

Thanks
ken

You do realize that all of the G3X data is being recorded in the G3X, don’t you? Data cameras are SO 20th century.....

Paul

I know that data can be pulled off the system, but I just thought that I could get immediate feedback on things and it would record all of my bantering and observations--in particular if I have a second person with me. I could keep track of all the maneuvers in the Flight Test Program that I got from Bill R and ensure that I don't miss any.

I have used the go pro suction cup mount inside the cockpit and outside. Only used it once on the outside and didn't like it too much, but it did work well inside.

Lots of ways to tackle this problem. Audio is a simple one to solve.

I typically use 2 cameras for my personal videos. One is recording generic cockpit audio (useful for listening to engine noise and other sounds) and the other is plugged in recording the intercom/radio sounds. This cable plugs in, in series with your headset, straight into the camera. THAT camera then has no sound on the video file other than the radio sounds. Erie quiet until you're talking... Once edited together, you get the full picture (so to speak) with regards to sound.

Here is the cable that I would use with your Hero 4.

https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/cables/products/nflightcam-gopro-audio-power-cable

As for video, I usually will snap my fingers or something so I have a point to sync up the video between the two cameras during editing. For testing, I will have one either chest mounted (link) or suction cupped to the canopy where it can see the panel. The other camera, I'll have either head mounted or back on the turtle deck of my -4 for better situational awareness when watching the footage back.

This may be a good suction cup idea if you don't have one yet. The articulating arm may be handy for camera positioning but I'm not sure how it would hold up to vibrations in flight... There are other mount options that are more rigid but might limit camera positioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Goo...words=gopro+suction+cup&qid=1585142703&sr=8-4

Here's two examples of how I utilize my cameras and edit it all together.
First is in the RV and I'm trying to demonstrate to GRT Tech Support the AHRS issues I have. No cockpit audio in this video but you can see how I use a wide angle (GoPro Fusion) for SA and smaller camera suctioned on the canopy (GoPro Hero 5 Session) in front of my face to capture the panel. Sometimes the suction cups don't like curved surfaces as seen in the video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRETOgzs_B0

This next video in the DC-9 shows how I utilize both cameras for the audio experience. The upper camera (GoPro Fusion) is suctioned to a window above my head capturing airplane noise. The head mounted camera (GoPro Session) has the audio cable plugged in, in series, with my headset and captures just the intercom/radio audio. Note: This is a full flight from Laredo to Saltillo, Mexico so it's a bit long. Feel free to watch, but zip to about the 12:00 minute mark to see it all working together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249l6t9SSEo&t=1013s

I hope this helps!

Old thread but I'm just trolling for secure exterior mount ideas.

I once found a Gopro with a suction cup mount sitting on on our runway. So, I won't be going that route.

I wonder if there is a way to mount to an empty tie down location. Just need to transition from the bolt to camera mount.

I wonder if there is a way to mount to an empty tie down location. Just need to transition from the bolt to camera mount.

Ken,
I have mounted a drift camera to my right tie down location in the past. The drift mounts slightly different than a GoPro. I had a piece of 2? aluminum angle laying around, just drilled a hole to clear a 3/8? bolt and a clearance hole for the 1/4? mount screw on the camera.
I put some electrical tape on the side of the aluminum that interfaced with the wing to avoid scratches.

I've made a few videos in the RV-9A as I've been developing various exercises, measuring parameters... and I've done a ton of analysis on recorded G3X data over the last few years. The bottom line is that video for flight test data capture records impressions and commentary but has almost no value for quantitative data, certainly in comparison to the data recorded on the SD card.

* Most important I think are good test cards, with *everything* you need to set properly to hit your test point. If you don't hit your test point, the recorded data has no value. Ask me how I know about needing *everything* you want for a data point...
* Get familiar with the G3X data format as you won't have to record all the data manually. However, some of the data, especially AOA and vertical acceleration (g) are noisy, so you won't necessarily be able to take individual recorded values without a grain of salt. I'll be happy to send you a flight or two (.csv) for you to play with if you send me a PM;
* External view videos, at least for flight test data capture, are pretty much a so what. Nice for posting, of little value for analysis, lots of searching to find what you want. And if you do have an external view, make sure that you have some reference video to check it against;
* You might want to set a camera to capture your button pushes on the G3X, GTN, whatever you've got. There's a goodly learning curve there, and sometimes I at least can't remember what buttons I pushed when;
* It's too bad that the FAA doesn't give letters of authorization to teach avionics, as the combination of unfamiliar airplane and unfamiliar avionics can create excessive workload for a first flight;
* You might consider just audio capture, especially something that doesn't record silence. I've not tried that myself, so I'm speculating;
* When I've video recorded maneuvers, the video was good at capturing comments and ideas. In the -9A, things like stall buffet and even some stall breaks weren't all the visible on the recording, so the play by play commentary was where 90% of the information was.

In other circumstances, I'd invite you to Savannah to play with the G3X with me, discuss configurations, etc. Hopefully there's somebody local who can guide you through the initial stages and get you proficiency up to a reasonable level before first flight.

Speaking of first flight, in advance, congratulations!

Ed

PS. Make sure you work with an EAA Flight Advisor. I'm one, even if far away...

Back