What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solutions for FLYLEDS Works kit

pjoshyjosh

Well Known Member
Trying to install the FLYLEDS 'The Works' and found out the forward facing (Landing Light) doesn't exactly fit the profile of the wing tip. Anyone else this far yet and have a good solution for trimming this piece for good fit? Pictures?

Thanks

I have installed “The Works” on my 9A and you are correct that it does not exactly fit the profile, especially on the left side. You are probably aware that the wing tip cutouts on the 9 are smaller than on the other RV models. I had to trim the outer most light board considerably more than the trim line and also the “wings” on the forward facing wing tip board. The end result just fits but it took many hours and there is a risk of damaging a component or an electrical track on the PCB.

I gave all the details to Paul at Flyleds. He is very customer focused and I know he is always trying to improve his products so I suggest you contact him and see if he has a better solution.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Hi Josh

As previously discussed via email, if you can help me out by emailing me some templates of your wingtip cutouts, I will compare your drawings with another set I have and I'll make a new batch of boards for the RV-9 wing.

The different size of the Van's wingtip between left and right wasn't an issue with the Original Flyleds kit, or at least no one complained to me in the last three years! However the RV-9 wing is a very tight fit for the Works kit, not made any easier by the 6+mm difference from left to right side...

Always interested in making a better product and having happy customers!

Was really challenging to install in right tip

I haven?t started to mount the left wing tip yet, but the right tip is mounted. Having said that, I was unable to install the outermost set screw for aiming the light inboard. It seems the fiberglass build up on the center seam is so thick that the circuit board hits the build up before the screw can engage the nutplate. Now I?m not looking forward to mounting the left wingtip now that know it?s even tighter! 😬

Hi Paul, Yes I had your input and was just making sure there wasn't any others. As the pictures I sent last night - I was able to manage the fit. Haven't yet tried installing the landing lights yet - hope that goes ok.

Thanks for your help and service.

Back