What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New look...Paint recommendations in California

dacronwall

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I am in the process of doing the CN-1 and CN-2 mods on my 1984 RV-3. We have the wings off, peeled back and getting going on the metal work. Once its done, it will be time to give her a new paint job and I am soliciting input for possible shops in California that are good with RV's.

I was told that because I live in the SF Bay area, the Air Quality Management Nazis wont let you use anything but water based paint, and I'm told that it just does not last. My paint job is original, and still mostly an 8, but with the wing work, and my recent fiberglass work on the cowl, it is time to do it all. I just want to get a nice quality job at a good price, with the best possible paint product.

Let me now if you have any input on this topic.
Thx
Dave
N66GB, Palo Alto

T&P

Many of us at Livermore have gotten fantastic paint jobs from Juan at T&P Aero Refinishers in Salinas.

Get it your way.

I have seen many builders, buyers, owners of all kinds of aircraft that once you have it flying the way you wish it to, just take it out of state or where you get your best deal. When it get finished go get it and have fun.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I would suggest using only solvent based paint, two of my customers chose to use water based paint,both needed repainted before first flight . The paint started peeling the paint job was done was done by high end shops with a tech rep from paint manufacture present

Dave,
I'll be very interested in the final cost to strip and repaint your 3 as my water based paint isn't holding up in a few areas.

I'll be interested, too, although my RV-3B is still a couple or three years from completion.

Also the weight and balance before and afterwards.

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

You don't have to go out of state, just away from the 9 Bay Counties that drain into the SF Bay. T and P is in Salinas, I believe in Monterey county and is fully legal and does fantastic paint jobs that last years. There are lots of paint shops that do good jobs in CA. Again, it's only the counties that drain into SF Bay that have a prohibition on certain paint chemicals.

Paint shops

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yes, I m going to try to avoid water based paint. I just don't hear good things about it.
I am courting a few shops at the moment, and will let you know who I settle on, and how it comes out. I have the wings off and doing CN-1 and CN-2 at the moment, so it will be a few weeks till I can get it to paint.
I will post pics when I can.
Thx
Dave

Back